The Official Random Video Thread!

They do that on large valves in certain facilities, using orbital tig so that the welders aren't in a radioactive area as long. Cool video, thx

That was f'g amazing.

One of the reasons I dig the TH, you get exposed to stuff you'd never find on your own.

That vid blew my mind. The precision. Pretty much what the hardware side of civilization is based on.

PS, he's got an awesome pooch!

Was anyone else concerned about the guy holding his hand on the rotating shaft?

Btw, he said you can't weld over grease, I get that but doesn't the heat of welding vaporize grease and pretty much everything else?

So duh, Q: the big bearing (?) he pressed into the repaired piece at the end, he did all that work so that the bearing would be fully and evenly seated on good, virgin-type material, right? And then, over time, the bearing will take the wear and hopefully when it is getting worn out, they will press out the worn bearing and press in a new one without the need for all that machining, right?

Ok 09, wtf is the radioactive talk you are doing above, me no capiche.

Thank you, Sirs.

Was anyone else concerned about the guy holding his hand on the rotating shaft?
Yes, but not much thing on it to catch, and small speed. I'd guess he does that to dampen it and limit the vibrations/resonnance resulting in chattering and wavy surface.

Btw, he said you can't weld over grease, I get that but doesn't the heat of welding vaporize grease and pretty much everything else?
Thay's exactly that, but the grease is vaporized like micro explosions which blow away the liquid metal.

So duh, Q: the big bearing (?) he pressed into the repaired piece at the end, he did all that work so that the bearing would be fully and evenly seated on good, virgin-type material, right? And then, over time, the bearing will take the wear and hopefully when it is getting worn out, they will press out the worn bearing and press in a new one without the need for all that machining, right?
Yes and yes. If hole(s) or spongy material is left, this area can't hold locally the same load as the good ones. The bearing isn't supported as good as it should be. That can lead to some moves between the parts and/or fatigue failure (either of the bearing or the holding part)..

Last edited:
I FF'd thru enough to realize that is some more insane technical work going on there

Oil and grease will seep into metals, especially that part because it's cast. It's steel, but since it hasn't gone thru the rolling processes that other steel has it will have larger slag inclusions. When you attempt to weld it, it will boil, but even a small trace of it will vaporize and cause porosity, which is a bunch of holes in the steel that make it very very weak. They are using a mig process there, which can tolerate absolutely no oil or it pretty much explodes with porosity. When you are welding you will often see it and can stop, but robots are too dumb and will often weld the , which is often hidden under the surface. This of course causes parts to fail, and is such a big deal most places use inspection for critical parts. The places i worked at used ultrasonic inspection, which is a great way to see pretty much everything very quickly. Working with pipe and heavy equipment you weld around oil all the time, with the right processes and procedures it's just part of it.

As far as the radioactive thing i mean literally radioactive from being in a nuclear powerplant. Any materials used in the hot areas are radioactive, so if they can rebuild a valve and not replace it they are saving often tons of radioactive waste. So some guys from our hall would travel the country specializing in doing this kind of welding, controlling the whole robotic process in a climate controlled trailer in a parking lot wearing slippers and pajamas :lol:

I'm amazed by the size of the plates and the overall quantity of steel. Massive. I wonder how much weight the basal pilars.
For me, 1/2" is already thick !

Back