The Official Random Video Thread!

Great video. Cool to see how they do that. I still have a couple of Manila ropes from when I learned to climb back in the seventies. It would be interesting to climb on them again. I wonder how I could set up the safety for trying that.

Maybe back it up with a lightweight synthetic line to catch you in case of failure. Something like Mercury is pretty light.

I think it would be interesting to see a historic(we'll say early 19th century) field to finish rope. You cut the hemp(how exactly; machete? Some kind of old steam machine?). Get the fibers(dried then threshed(probably incorrect term; beaten), threshed then dried, something different?). Spin them into threads(how?). Turn those threads into small cord(same as the big rope above?), and then rope.

I would have a hard time trusting a 50 year old rope. Just get a new hank of it, climb on it for a day, then use it for something else when you come to your senses again :lol: They never stopped making it, in fact in construction they still use it almost exclusively for tag lines, light lowering, and for general use like tying stuff off. I've seen synthetic too, but they really use a ton of the natural stuff, likely because it's cheap and it's what was they always used. They even still teach basic splicing in the apprenticeships, which is so much easier with natural fiber because it keeps its lay really well.

I know it's a crazy idea...but it is interesting the things that can flash thru one's mind sometimes. Probably better to see the flash, look all around, say, "what was that?" and move on to the next idea.

His knuckles clearly look like he's been punching a lot of stuff for a long time. I've seen knuckles like that one other time, on the ninja.

"So tired of rolling dough. Wish I could just go to the store..." :^D

That was interesting. I like the lack of commentary.

I normally block all facebook properties, but this video got a lot of interesting comments on another site, so I fired up a different browser to watch it. Worth it I think...

No hitch needed, the elephant knew the deal and almost acted impatient that they didn't lay the rope down right, and tons of power to spare!

Back