The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 291K
Begging from the table has nothing to do with being fed human food.
It has to do with lack of proper training, like most everything else that dogs do wrong.
I'll toss mine a bit of whatever I'm eating occasionally, but you sure don't see them "begging" after they've been told to leave.

It is an old viking tradition to have a pack of dogs in the dining hall, to toss the bones of whatever animal you're eating to.
Being a vegetarian, I fail miserably in keeping that tradition going.

Does Danish toast not have bones? My dog waits patiently for my toast bones every morning.

Can you see a viking throwing a piece of milk toast to the wolf dogs:lol:

I bought another dog last week, but haven't had time to post any pictures.
I went for a longhaired white german shepherd again, I REALLY liked the last one.Since he'll end up looking exactly like my last dog, I decided to re-use the name as well, so I have another Thais.
Sam did the usual, old male dog thing " When is that thing going home?" for a couple of days, now they are best buddies.

Attachments

• P1010890.JPG
    P1010890.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 46
  • P1010898.JPG
    P1010898.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 46
My wife is a great trainer. She has allowed our Papillons to eat at the table since day one. They have perfect manners. I just hope some day to join them. :)

Fine as frog's hair, split three ways, old friend :D.

Gigi, not yet, it'll be a while yet I think. Almost a year now since he's been gone...miss him terribly still.

fine looking pup there Stig

on this end Rufus has retired?? about a month ago he just decided to turn around and go home as I was walking to the shop. Hasn't come to work since. he's getting old quick, 10 years for a boxer is getting up there. can hardly keep up on longer mtb rides :no::whine:

Fantastic looking dog, is he a pure breed?

Not quite. A mix between a short haired white german shepherd and a long haired one.
The litter didnt turn out medium haired as one would expect, but 3 longhaired and 4 short haired pups.

Here he is playing with Sam.

Attachments

• P1010962.JPG
    P1010962.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010963.JPG
    P1010963.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 55
  • P1010966.JPG
    P1010966.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 55
White German shepherds aren't much prone to hip problems.
For one thing, they have never been bred towards that newish ideal of the downsloping back.
So, yes, I hope so.

They are a pretty recent developement.
I just read an article about it, where some Danish breeders are trying to go back to how the Breed originally was.
It was never an intention of Van Stephanitz, the creator of the breed, that they should look like they do today, which is easy to determine if you look at old pictures of the breed.

The East Germans kept a VERY good line of GSD for police and military use. They are used by Danish police now. No sloping back or HD there.

Anyway, Thais is of the Swiss line, known as Berger Blanc Suisse. My last one of that breed, Thais,was one of the best dogs, I've had. Friendly, easygoing and courageous as hell. NOTHING fazed that dog. I train all my dogs to not go after game, he was once stepped on by a roe deer, when I had made him lay down and stay as we drove a deer out of a fenced area. He didn't even stand up.
So new Thais will have something to live up to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berger_Blanc_Suisse

I got to the point where you could not give me a purebred. They seem to only breed for dog shows. Rubbish.

There does seem to be a move towards making the breeds healthier.

Hope you have plenty of good years with your new dog Stig. Looks like you have been training it in Karate! Good pictures!

Ive always had mutts here too. My best dog was a shepard lab and lived to be 16. Never went to the vet and was only sick for 2 days at the end. I did take him to the vet after those last 2 days and they did bloodwork and said his liver and kidney were giving out and he had a high white blood cell count. Asked if I wanted to start dialysis and a bunch of other stuff. I told them I would let them know. He died that night on my bed (I don't advise that BTW) so I never even had to put him down.

Mutts for me

I thought my current dog was a mutt 'til I found he is full English Shepherd. Best dog I've owned since our old Brittany/Collie mix I grew up with.

Stig, I can see those two don't get along at all:lol: Nice pics!

Nice, Stig! Congrats. So many new things going on in your life. Terri and I are happy for you.

Now a trained dog is a happy dog. And the reason why I say that is because our neighbors have an asshole dog. No manners at all. Not a lick of training. His name is, well the only thing they call him is, No No-Bad Dog. Pitiful.

I bought another dog last week, but haven't had time to post any pictures.
I went for a longhaired white german shepherd again, I REALLY liked the last one.Since he'll end up looking exactly like my last dog, I decided to re-use the name as well, so I have another Thais.
Sam did the usual, old male dog thing " When is that thing going home?" for a couple of days, now they are best buddies.

Dogs, for me, are the ultimate pet. We have 4.

Had a German Shepherd way back when I was age 10. Used to nip at my dad's ankles when he would spank me.

Back