The morgan block

Porkbrick

TreeHouser

this is a project morgan thompson and i have been working on ever since he showed me a prototype rigging tool he had made several years ago. the morgan block is an aerial friction rigging device. it is meant for light to medium duty rigging (750lbs swl) with a 1/2" rigging line. friction is variable depending on the load applied and the tension on the control end, it is midline attachable, it has a built in swivel a la the omni block, and it has a replaceable wear surface.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have some 1/2" Sampson just like the video. Now I need this block. How do I get it?
Here you go!

Looking forward to a video that has it hung in the tree, side by side, different configurations, and especially the 3:1 set up.

Looking forward to a video that has it hung in the tree, side by side, different configurations, and especially the 3:1 set up.
Hopefully this weekend we’ll have a video to post. I decided to keep things simple and not include any info on using it 3:1 in the manual, too much noise. I’ll see if I can make a short demo vid of just that setup.

Yep, I wish it weren't so too. I have other half inch line I use and love in my Akimbos.

Will go to trying them both and see if one makes much difference over the other. And will listen for others experience....including - tell us how you find Samson 1/2.

I actually now use the 1/2” Sampson almost exclusively. It gives a great balance of grip and light grab for big and small pieces. It also seems super durable compared to the stable braid. I started with both brand new, now the stable braid looks like it’s been through hell and the Sampson just looks a little dirty.

In stead of Yale or?. The Samson line is "Stable Braid" that i see in the video pic.
I found the 1/2 Samson great so long as it is not all fuzzy from use. New, it was beautiful in function with the devise. I would thing that the Elderid line might be too abrasive for the piece to run proper. But I am out of that current.

In stead of Yale or?. The Samson line is "Stable Braid" that i see in the video pic.
I found the 1/2 Samson great so long as it is not all fuzzy from use. New, it was beautiful in function with the devise. I would thing that the Elderid line might be too abrasive for the piece to run proper. But I am out of that current.
I’m using a 16 strand line. Sampson arbormaster I believe.

TreeStuff has three Sampson lines that they don't seem to attach the name Arbormaster to. Sherrill has what looks like the same three lines with "Arbormaster" and then a specific name in addition for each rope.

Colorings? (One or more are $1.99 per foot. One or more are $.99 per foot.)

Bigfoot (blue and yellow) was my go to climbing line for years. I loved it doubled up. Great for limb walking w/redirect over crotches as it loves to work dirty

Wesspur has Samson Big Foot for $0.94/ft.
How about the Samson Dynasorb? Do you think a little stretch would help or hurt?
I might need to get some new climb lines and degrade some current rope to rigging use.
The XTC Fire might be the one to try since I have it slated for removal from my climbing line rotation.

Wesspur has Samson Big Foot for $0.94/ft.
How about the Samson Dynasorb? Do you think a little stretch would help or hurt?
I might need to get some new climb lines and degrade some current rope to rigging use.
The XTC Fire might be the one to try since I have it slated for removal from my climbing line rotation.
This is the rope I’m currently using. It works great. I’m sure all the colors work equally well. XTC looks nice too

Back