The Bamboo Thread - resurrected

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Leon...that Moso grove is becoming a nice place to visit. There was an owl roosting there for awhile...we found some good pellets.

Here are grandkids in the Moso grove.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0186.JPG
    IMG_0186.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0187.JPG
    IMG_0187.JPG
    584.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 46
Cool, Gary. Pigeons like bamboo in these parts. The grove behind my shop, can't see the birds but hear them most everyday. More so than other birds for some reason.

Great pics, Gary. He's lucky to have someone to do that stuff with him. You can tell he really enjoys being out there with you.

Chris, I read this thread from the beginning this morning and damn near spit my coffee on my screen a half dozen times. All Chris wants for Christmas are a few new bamboo shoots for the garden... :D

That's exactly what I thought..got it covered. I even have someone who will plant them (in the dark of the night) so he will be pleasantly surprised when they pop thru the earth in March...maybe April. :/:

Yes, Jerry...many times I have used a piece of re-rod or broom stick or another piece of smaller bamboo to break out the section chamber dividers. Here is a homemade gutter I made when the roofer didn't return to find a way to keep this part of the roof from dumping water onto the front porch. I am working on replacing it now...probably 6-8 years old right now. All the shroud line is the retrieval ropes we use to rescue Batman when he gets stuck on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 44
Gary, a friend of mine has a very traditional house with bamboo rain gutters.

Distinctive bamboo sound:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nop-XNHVM1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, but that would be doable. I have made several tripods for holding various things over the years...lanterns, cooking pots, gongs, blower to fan a fire.

That's commonly done here in Hong Kong. A bit too bendy for my taste, but light and strong.

The climb looks cake, right?

But the bamboo use/structure is pretty amazing. #usewhatyouhavealotof

John got this three at crank back up again. Good for him. My Moso should be starting to come up now... I'll try to get some pictures and see how it's doing this year. My black bamboo after many years has finally started getting some decent size to it. it's normally considered more ornamental than functional but it's finally an inch to an inch and a half in the diameter which is usable.

Back