That Coos Bay felling cut again!

Sorry guys. Be patient with me. I wanna learn this. Is this what was done? See attachment.

Hmm...Where is it?

Attachments

• Question.JPG
    Question.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 67
looks to me like what you have marked as a notch is the back cut. hes displaying the non face cut method so the cambium/sapwood will tear as a hinge of sorts. i think he cut either side first and planned to back cut as fast as possible but it popped an inch and a half into the back cut. am i right?

Willie is right. That is the back cut. There is no face cut with this use of the Coos Bay cut. Not many loggers here have a use for a tophandle, unless they are a climber of course. :)

...it worked as designed willie... it popped so early because of the heavy snow load on the tree... however, I'm sure that any tree leaning a lot will pop just like that. With or without the snow load.

Gary

Ha:lol: You must be real old.:what:

Click on confused face above.

Yep, practically ancient!
I meant, of course, the current rise of global temperature during the last decade or so.
The Earth seems to constantly be going through periods of minor temperature changes.
Pollen analyses show that 3000 years ago, the temperatures around here (Denmark) were a lot higher than now, almost mediterranean. White fir (Abies Alba) was common back then, but disappeared later, when it got colder.
Now it seems like we are in for a period of warmer weather again. This was the global warming I referred to.
The white fir is back too. It was reintroduced into the forests here in 1763 by a German forrester, Johan Jacob Von Langen, who started the danes on sustainable yield logging practises.

Did I just derail this thread, or what?

Did I just derail this thread, or what?

Heck, nawwww...you had to answer (the other) Gary's question...and you segued into a brief discussion of ancient tree species of Denmar. I'm going to slide into a brief sideline related to your history lesson.

I am reading Bernard Cornwell's stories about the Danes (Vikings) of the mid 800's, a time when the Danes almost conquered England...they are some excellent stories of war, sailing, politics, religion, life and love...masterfully done.

You Vikings were (are?) dangerous folk.

OK, end of my derail. :)

looks to me like what you have marked as a notch is the back cut. hes displaying the non face cut method so the cambium/sapwood will tear as a hinge of sorts. i think he cut either side first and planned to back cut as fast as possible but it popped an inch and a half into the back cut. am i right?

Thanks Willie. Now I get it.;)

Attachments

• Leaner cut.JPG
    Leaner cut.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to Willie and Gary for filling in for me while I was away. Y'all are of course correct.

It was more like about 3 inches in...the tree was 12 or 13 inches in diameter at that point, which was about 6 feet off the ground.

This tree was even more heavily stressed (tension on the back side of the lean, compression on the front of lean side) than a normal leaner with a straight stem, or a tree that had grown with a natural lean would be...it was arched over in a bow shape due to the snow load.

I felt pretty happy to get as far into it as I did, and glad that it didn't barberchair even with the advantage of using the Coos Bay cut.

I like how the first two responders quote his entire post. Why do people do that silly shit? Just to have fun scrolling?

I don't have a clue how a pine /fir acts in cold weather but a hickory cracks like rifle shot when it's real cold .

I suppose it can freeze in the log although I've never seen it .Oak will freeze like an ice berg in the log .About like cutting granite ,an exercise in futility .

Thanks Burnham, good threads. That's finally got me straight on it, I've heard and seen things about it but never quite understood.

I don't get to fell trees in snow but we do get some wild storms sometimes, could come in handy.8)

Can someone please explain what exactly it is about the Coos Bay cut that helps to prevent barberchair? The part that would would normally begin the barberchair to happen when it is freed up by cutting, is still attached to the tree and can fold and break? With the sides cut away, it seems like you would have even more tension on the central post when the tree does start to go, and all hell would happen. I believe it works, not questioning that, just can't get my mind around what is happening. :|:

Thanks.

Jay in my mind it is the first two cuts that ward off the barberchair, by cutting the sides this isolates the center and the ability for the barberchair to split to the sides. The cuts make holding wood in the butt. Encaplulates it if this makes sense.

One thing is sure about it. If you don't cut the sides enough it will barber chair. I've always kind of associated with how you would cut a side leaner to swing it, but you don't open the face. And when swinging a side leaner when the upper corner fails you lose the tree to its lean. Can't say I have ever seen a side leaner barber chair when trying to swing it and the corner fails.

Could be something there in the origins of how the cut gained merit and use on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't really think so, Rskybiz.

I think the reason the Coos Bay helps avoid a barberchair is simply that you have reduced the amount of wood fibre that has to be severed for the tree to commit to the lean. This allows you to make that release cut fast, keeping ahead of the tendency to split. If you putz around with a dull chain and a poorly running saw, the CB will 'chair on you just as mightily as a conventional felling cut would.

We all know that on less severe headleaners, you have to be aggressive in the back cut, having put in a conventional face, to avoid the barberchair...the Coos Bay just allows you to do this even more quickly, for cases of more extreme head lean.

See it and conceed that would be more logical. Still leaves me to wonder the holding benefits having the sides cut in, I can't imagine there would be no benefit.

On the type of trees I work on, the sapwood is a lot stringier than the heartwood and more flexible.
So cutting away the sapwood and leaving mainly heartwood as done in the Coos bay, will make sure that the holding wood breaks easily, thus avoiding the barberchair.

Just thought I post some pics of an ugly barberchair that I experienced during my younger and less informed days.... Note the stressed out bamboo in the back, those can really get you too.

Attachments

• oshirobesso1178.jpg
    oshirobesso1178.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 24
  • oshirobesso1179.jpg
    oshirobesso1179.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 24
Back