Sizwill? Sizwheel? Whizzy? WTH (What the Heck)

My understanding is yes. The tree starts off in the direction it wants to go and swings around to the lay. I think the soft Dutchman is a series of pizza slices on one side of the face. All the points are aligned, and each step lower is a wider slice.

I have forced over some leaners with wedges lately and those cuts would be fiddly and time consuming but a lot less sweat…if they worked. Makes sense out in the woods.

Doug-fir has great hinging characteristics.

Species and location are important.

Lots of things can be taken from the woods to residential settings weighing the risks and rewards.

Used a soft dutchman on this head leaner today to swing it off a apple tree and shed. Favor was toward the oak below it and a tad towards the apple. Faced it to the right of the apple. Threw in a two curf soft dutch to swing the tops more to the right and hopefully pop the butt off and jump down hill a smidge. Good hinge wood in a canyon oak. Placed her nicely and only scared the targets. Fiber pull pretty appearant on the uphill of the hinge.
The other three stems were limb locked, so I crippled the small lead and let the larger twin pull it into the desired lay. Head was 90 out to the left. But not much of a tree ...

Drop and walks for a friend that needs more light on some solar panels.
20230908_172059.jpg
20230908_172120.jpg 20230908_172134.jpg 20230908_172146.jpg

A Swizwill is a Dutchman.
God, I miss Jed and not having him here.

He was the first one to show me and post about the sizwheel cut here way back in 2013 (I can't believe it's been 11 years). I am still trying to find the origins of this cut!

@wiley_p I think that we can all agree that the sizwheel is more than just a Dutchman (soft or otherwise). When I took the Game of Logging course decades ago here in the Northeast, Soren Erikson and his disciples were not teaching it, that's for sure! In fact, Dent had pretty much stopped advocating for the Dutchman as well, because of its unpredictability.

So, any idea where and when this cut first was used AND documented?

God, I miss Jed and not having him here.

He was the first one to show me and post about the sizwheel cut here way back in 2013 (I can't believe it's been 11 years). I am still trying to find the origins of this cut!

@wiley_p I think that we can all agree that the sizwheel is more than just a Dutchman (soft or otherwise). When I took the Game of Logging course decades ago here in the Northeast, Soren Erikson and his disciples were not teaching it, that's for sure! In fact, Dent had pretty much stopped advocating for the Dutchman as well, because of its unpredictability.

So, any idea where and when this cut first was used AND documented?
I think it’s been in use for a very long time by guys who weren’t the type to document. West coast logging I’d imagine.

Back