Australian skyscrapers in the SoCal desert.

On trail crew, I think our gentle persuader was a 12 or 15# sledge, with smaller hammers on down to 2.5# 'single jacks'.

Those were some workouts.

Beside old age where the tree tends to decline, I'd say that comes from a drift between bearable climate conditions ( I wouldn't call that "good conditions' in the desert!) to a real problematic environment. The tree finds harder to supply the usually fast growing part of his crown ( but more demanding in energy to reach so far). So he abandons the now unsustainable parts and resumes his growth from a more reasonable location inside the crown. Give him again the proper conditions, like a sufficient water supply for example, and I bet he can grow back to where he was once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMG_4875.jpeg IMG_4874.jpeg Went to look at removing this one yesterday. Heavily weighted opposite the lay. Probably 5’ dbh, maybe more. Very codom. Not sure if my 6x6 would pull it over if I went to the trouble to rig it to pull evenly on all the stems. So maybe the much less cool method of taking off everything outside the fence from the bucket.

@Trains

Is there room to dump it.

Looks like a bent up fence.

What would it take to remove the fence wire and horizontals, and replace a post, if needed?

View attachment 135321View attachment 135322Went to look at removing this one yesterday. Heavily weighted opposite the lay. Probably 5’ dbh, maybe more. Very codom. Not sure if my 6x6 would pull it over if I went to the trouble to rig it to pull evenly on all the stems. So maybe the much less cool method of taking off everything outside the fence from the bucket.

@Trains
I so wish I could come climb that thing for you... looks like a lovely time in harness.

Is there room to dump it.

Looks like a bent up fence.

What would it take to remove the fence wire and horizontals, and replace a post, if needed?
Lots of room to the inside, opposite where it wants to go. I could maybe deal with the fence but there are also canals, roads, and power line. If I flop it in the yard it can be cut up and left there and they will burn it. IMG_4926.jpeg

Weight in those limbs can be quite deceptive, I would take out the weight over the fence with bucket, and get in a high rope, and cut low, cant see the co dom, or how far down they go, but expect the bark layer to go lower than you would expect.

Ah the other picture finally loaded up.

Truck would most likely have authority over the back weight, but what could let you down with that is the limbs you have the rope set in, they look to be the limiting factor there.

again, hard to decide over the other side of the pond etc etc with pictures compared to being there.
Still going with initial thought, reduce back weight, draw it over, some of those branches to the side look like they will tag the fence anyway, so your going to have some time in the bucket anyway.

It’s to be cut up into bonfire/fire wood where it lands. Anything I drop outside the fence I will have to drag around and inside. Not a big deal but quicker easier if it’s all flopped inside.

I know what you mean about processing from the bucket.

Back