Singing Tree Rope Wrench Review.

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 230
  • Views 31K
I could splice up a nice short 8mm beeline eye-eye with a small eye on one side for clipping to the harness and a big core-exposed eye on the other for girthing to the RW.

That would allow us to stick with a fully rated, chafe resistant cord that is small enough to girth onto the RW.

And there you have it, a simple answer to a simple question!

Nick,
That would be great, especially if you could obtain a couple 'samples' for us ;)

So looking on their website I see this pin which seems to be the one we want...

Marine-M-Style1.jpg

There is this accompanying chart showing the sizes available...

avibank pin chart.png

If you guys tell me exactly what I'm looking for, I don't mind calling them and seeing if they have some samples. Being a company that makes parts for the airline industry, I'm thinking they don't have a warehouse where I can walk in, get 5 of the pin and pay and walk out. They are probably dealing in the thousands...

But it can't hurt to call!

love
nick

It wouldn't have to be just friction, Willie. We work in a rough environment, you know, sharp tools and all that.

Dave

I've seen some mighty close to the body lanyard cuts. But I'd be as much or more worried about long term wear that goes un-noticed because it's so gradual.

Willie, just the edges of the side plates of the RW will wear the tether with repeated use. Tethers to handled ascenders wear in the same way. Heck, the girthed cord wears on itself with no other influences.

Nick's solution would suit me to a T...but I'd still be inspecting it regularly along with all my other gear :).

I'm gonna get a rep as a safety nut if I'm not careful :D.

Hey Burnham, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I read threw your long reply and the one thing I noted is you mentioned a reduction in friction if the tether were to snap and one is disconnected from the RW. The way I see it, this is not the case, rather its the complete opposite, your hitch experiences a huge increase in friction, in many instances completely locking the hitch up on the line, because all of the climbers weight is now imparted onto that hitch. The RW reduces friction at the hitch, thereby making it possible to descend and ascend much as in DdRt. If the RW were to fail at all, that reduction in friction is no longer there, and in theory the hitch locks up and the climber comes to a sudden stop, because of the vast increase in friction at the hitch.

Like you said, not trying to beat a dead horse here. Just want to clarify this point here. I understand your argument, but this is the only fuzzy part to me.

Adrian, go back and read the post about hitches cutting through the SRT line, and where Burnham talked about a somewhat loose VT, suddenly being loaded, failing to grab.

Burnham, I'm already known as a safety queen here, join me, and become KING!
(except when I walk around in spikes...8))

Adrian, go back and read the post about hitches cutting through the SRT line, and where Burnham talked about a somewhat loose VT, suddenly being loaded, failing to grab.

Burnham, I'm already known as a safety queen here, join me, and become KING!
(except when I walk around in spikes...8))

And together we shall rule as benevolent dictators, my friend.
:)

While I agree, a lovenick solution is probably for the better, we need to inspect everything we climb on. I for one, toss alot of fiber well before it is suspect. Age, wear, fading etc, if I really have to wonder how many more climbs a line is going to work, I lose it. I'm sure most of us are that way. That said, my RW is in route and things look a whole lot different in hand. Just ask Arborworks1 about his 8:D

I'm gonna get a rep as a safety nut if I'm not careful :D.

You probably wouldn't have made it to age 57 if you weren't a safety nut:lol:

We're not exactly working in a safe environment.

Yeah that 8 is about the right size for Trevin!!

I was watching a few videos about the rw last night. I believe I'm going to add one to the toolbag. One thing I was thinking about, in a rescue situation a rope long enough to lower the climber directly to the ground would be an ideal situation with the RW.

Had some fun today with the RW.:D

Attachments

• IMG00650-20110902-1051.jpg
    IMG00650-20110902-1051.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00646-20110902-0946.jpg
    IMG00646-20110902-0946.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 15
Posted without comment...except to say that it actually does work, sort of :D.

Attachments

• block and tackle, rope wrench 011.jpg
    block and tackle, rope wrench 011.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22
  • block and tackle, rope wrench 010.jpg
    block and tackle, rope wrench 010.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 20
yes that is pretty much exactly like my first prototype wrench. I didnt use the carabiner though to connect the tether. Sort of works is right. Did a cat rescue with it with my first job. tore up my rope, had to retire it but I knew that all I needed to do was create one that was rope friendly. Hence- the rope wrench.

Too funny B!

PS, what's the name of that black hitch cord you have, I have some that looks very similar and don't know what it is, other than it works well on my Z rig...

We'll have to ask Pete McTree, Fiona. He gave me a couple of tresse cord's worth at the first West Coast GTG...the Wraptorfest.

Do you recall, Pete?

That would stand to reason, I got mine in the UK a few years back, the invoice is long gone...

Back