Removing Palms-Advice Needed

When we had Hurricane Fabian, 30 yr old washies folded about 10' from the top...lots of them. 120mph sustained for 2 hrs and over 100mph for 12.

Like that dust mask mate!

Ive worked on a cuban royal that was in flower and simply covered in bees...with palms the flowers go over pretty quick so delaying a few days can see you aout of that danger.

Nick, I reckon different palms eat saws at different rates...coconuts seem pretty benign, whereas chinese fan are awful, I put washies somewhere in the middle. If I let my saw sit for a day after cutting any palm though, at the very least the chain and clutch have gone rusty and all that fibre mush is fermenting! At the worst I've got pits in the metal casings.

That's the one. Hugely invasive in Bermuda...been known to tie off a crane to the top and cut them off at the bottom, take no prisoners.

They are moderately invasive in Hawaii as well. Native here in Hong Kong, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just took one down and forget to charge the GoPro. Seven flying squirels took flight out! It's ok because the flew to the next tree I am taking down tomorrow. Just noticed your post V I bid $500 per tree and $100 for both stumps. Everything went smooth except for about 50 wasps. They were half asleep since the temp was down to 40 degrees this morning. I got stung once so no biggie. Tomorrow morning tackle one near lines early due to wasp. Thanks for everyone's help!

Costs 2 bills in fees just to get rid of a palm at the dump round here!

Be careful mate!

Jomo

Yeah- I looked at that price and thought "$500? That's a good deal...for the client."

Granted this is LA and everything costs a thousand bucks here.

love
nick

Funny, Nick. When I have a customer sometimes get a bid and say, Anymore everything is $800, and I"ll say, I thought everything was $1200. Got the word on my truck brakes $2400.

Just took one down and forget to charge the GoPro. Seven flying squirels took flight out! It's ok because the flew to the next tree I am taking down tomorrow. Just noticed your post V I bid $500 per tree and $100 for both stumps. Everything went smooth except for about 50 wasps. They were half asleep since the temp was down to 40 degrees this morning. I got stung once so no biggie. Tomorrow morning tackle one near lines early due to wasp. Thanks for everyone's help!

I think 500.00 to 700.00 would be good. We have a price of $ 125.00 per stump at the lowest price point for any grinding. 500.00 was good, they did not have skirt on them all the way down.

Just about all we do is palms, so every morning they blow them out with an air compressor.

Knocked out the other one today and did a small job across the street. I knocked out about 100 or more paper wasps and yellow jackets out of the palm. Got to down load some video of the only flying squirel that jumped out and didn't quite make the landing. I felt bad for it when it bounced off the concrete. I think it was dodging the owner sitting on his chair.

I think I could have did both the palms in a day if it wasn't for the wasps and had a bigger trailer. I blocked out some four foot long pieces with a green horn working with me today. My little MS 192t was blazing through the palm trunk. Not much pinching on the bar up top but the lower bulkier sections started to pinch the bar. I just started cutting cross sections. I was amazed how well this worked.

$600 a piece and done in one day would have been a really good day for me. The homeowner was really cool though he wouldn't let us clean up! He payed in cash, helped us load the trailer, and was an awesome guy to work for. I am getting better everyday because of you guys and gals on here. Thanks again for all who chimed in :) Will update when I post the video.

Wow you made out like a bandit not having to clean up!
You mean you were able to leave the trunks and fronds...or just that you left the smoosh chips and dirt?

Wow you made out like a bandit not having to clean up!
You mean you were able to leave the trunks and fronds...or just that you left the smoosh chips and dirt?

Removed the trunk and fronds. But didn't even have to start the blower, rake, or load stump grindings :)

Back