Passing of a Legend

chris_girard

Treehouser
I probably should post this on the Passings thread, but I figured that since Brion Toss was known mostly around here for his splicing, then I will put it here.

I only recently learned of his passing from cancer. He was a GREAT help to me when I was first learning to splice and always had time to answer my questions whenever I called him up.

Brion was a legend in the splicing and maritime world and will be greatly missed.

Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot link anything on my computer, since I dropped and broke it, so if anyone could post some links to Brion's obit and his work, I would greatly appreciate it.

Found this quote from Brion. It speaks to me and I believe it will speak to everyone here: “Life is unutterably precious, unbearably fragile, but it becomes flimsy and shallow if your primary aim is to preserve it,” he wrote in the final chapter of “Falling.” “Risk it. If you huddle in a safe space, you might live longer, but you will not be fulfilled. Risk your life, at some point, to some extent. Do it with enough training and gear that your chances of survival are excellent. But do something that will let you know how close Death is, and how amazing Life is.”

That’s absolutely awesome. I think any working climber with a shred of sense of self preservation can relate. I really like that quote.

yeah that was definitely awesome, covered all the bases

I didn't live too far from him while he was still kicking. I was giving money to the shop in Port Townsend that sold the natural fiber ropes that he was probably affiliated with somehow. This was around the time I was getting into the Ashley Book of Knots (for the first time). Still haven't bought any of his stuff, but I hear his splicing DVD's are pretty good. Always wanted to bug him, shame he's gone now.

They got a pretty cool old-timey sailboat making school there too. Check it out if you're on the Penn.

I have several of his splicing wands; a number of years back I offered folks a quick release mechanism to use instead of the knob to tighten their Toss wands. My intention was just to make splicers aware of how well it worked, and that I had a box of them available.
He said he had asked folks if they wanted a quick release and no one did... seems it annoyed him?!?
We spoke after that and cleared the air. At another time I asked and he wrote a note in the front of one of his books as a joke for NickFromWI.

I have several of his splicing wands; a number of years back I offered folks a quick release mechanism to use instead of the knob to tighten their Toss wands. My intention was just to make splicers aware of how well it worked, and that I had a box of them available.
He said he had asked folks if they wanted a quick release and no one did... seems it annoyed him?!?
We spoke after that and cleared the air. At another time I asked and he wrote a note in the front of one of his books as a joke for NickFromWI.
I have the bicycle quick release lever on mine! I don’t remember where I got the idea for it, maybe it was you? This is quite sometime ago

Back