Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not-So-Random-Fact: The word "chevrotain" comes from the Middle French word chevrot, which means "kid" or "fawn" and is derived from chèvre, which means "goat". Chevrotains are small, hornless, deer-like mammals that live in tropical Asia, the Malay archipelago, and West Africa. They are also known as mouse deer.

Sorry, I just wondered where they got their name. Kind of disappointed in that answer. But I'm hard to please. I read A LOT of facts lol

Nature is kinda predictable, boys will be boys, and they'll kill eachother and themselves over girls.
In 2024, there's A LOT more to fight over than a mate! That's why reproduction rates are decreasing! Sometimes it pays to not have a mate! And as a human, it's an option to find a mate! Love is still attractive as all hell, though. Girls are still attractive as f*ck. It's a different dynamic, but women are definitely one of the most powerful elements against and for a man.

I wonder what the world looks like to a prey animal? Having eyes on the side of your head's weird. I wonder how that resolves visually? As an example, squirrel!

c0576baa0167851f.jpg

Cute.
They get a wider vision field than us. We can see barely at 180° total at most, the front 90° being the most accurate. I guess that they have over 120° for each eye. They can see literally behind their head. Optical geometry: their ocular globes are very prominent, like a fish-eye lens. I remember a pic showing what should see a horse : almost 360°, short of a triangular area at the bottom back. They can see their rider even without turning their head.

I posted cause it's something I think about, and I just saw the squirrel pic. Aside from squirrels being super cool animals, their eyes are interesting. It's my understanding that 3D vision and depth perception isn't as good with prey animals. A horse or bunny? Yea, sure. They aren't doing anything particularly weird, but I'd think 3D view would be essential for a squirrel. I don't know how you make those incredible leaps through the branches without it.

That's right, it doesn't seem that they are particularly gifted in the 3D vision with this skull. I guess that the eye's mobility, the speed of info treatment and reflexes play a big role in these incredible critters.

Than what?
Than focal vision... (straight ahead)

• Peripheral vision
    Also known as ambient vision, this mode of vision is responsible for navigating the space around the body and providing context before focusing on something. It covers more than 90% of the visual field, but has lower resolution than focal vision. Peripheral vision is especially good at detecting movement and changes in the visual field, such as differences in color, light intensity, or size. For example, when driving or walking, peripheral vision helps you notice things to the side while you're focused on looking straight ahead.
  • Focal vision
    This mode of vision is responsible for processing detailed information from a small region of the visual field. It's less efficient in the peripheral visual field, but it allows for greater acuity and contrast sensitivity. Focal vision often involves attention, and builds on the information provided by peripheral vision. For example, while reading while walking, focal vision is responsible for the reading task, while peripheral vision helps maintain spatial orientation.

Random Fact: How much sleep do you lose after having a child?

According to a 2010 survey by Silentnight, parents lose an average of six months of sleep during the first two years of their child's life. Other surveys have found similar results, with some parents losing as much as seven or more hours of sleep per night:
  • Bensons for Beds
    69% of parents in a 2022 survey lost three or more hours of sleep per night in their child's first year, with over two-fifths losing three or four hours, almost one in six losing five or six hours, and over one in ten losing seven or more hours
  • The Bump
    A 2022 survey of 1,300 parents found that 7 out of 10 parents lost an average of three hours of sleep every night in their baby's first year, which adds up to 133 nights of sleep lost before the baby's first birthday

Back