O44

High Scale

Trust fund lobbyist.
I just went to pick up my chipper blades, (still not ready, sigh) This was up on the stand, in the shop and for sale at £400, I put a deposit on it straight away it's hardly been used, the old boy who purchased it new, used it for a little log cutting.:D

Butch, move this post, I don't think it belongs in this thread?

Attachments

• IMG00136-20101201-1220.jpg
    IMG00136-20101201-1220.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 4
Indeed, couldn't agree more with OM, helluva great saw.

Too bad about the dinky little dogs and the sad half wrap handle :evil:.

:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't worry Mr Chamberlain I will stick some bigger dogs on it as soon as I can, I may not mod the muffler though, keep it standard for the sake of my hearing.

Maybe I'll buy a full wrap for it as I know I would love it for felling and bucking... But the first time I get asked "can't you cut it a little lower?" I will be thinking of you :D

If I was in the biz, I'd maybe keep one saw primarily for that purpose, with a half wrap. But everything else except the 200T would be 3/4 wrap, not a doubt in my mind.

I'm going to get a handle made up especially for you Burnham that will wrap completely around the whole power head 4 or 5 times in a spiral pattern. It will have so many wraps that you'll never want a wimpy "full wrap" handle ever again. :lol:

I like compactness in a saw....things not sticking out so much.....besides the bar :evil:. Probably comes from years of growing up while sharing a room with my older brother. Even the MS200 with the brake handle being so large bugs me a bit.

Nice! I have a ms441 and I can tell it's a different design, but it still is a good one too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple of pictures of my new saw, I got a feeling it's the original chain.

Attachments

• IMG00143-20101203-1408.jpg
    IMG00143-20101203-1408.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00144-20101203-1409.jpg
    IMG00144-20101203-1409.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 3
About $600US? That's what I paid for mine new in 1997. Looks like it's hardly been used. You got a sweet deal for sure.

Friday we had two 044's ripping rounds, like a real saw jamboree.
It was harmonic in the canyon of doublewides.

I like it better than a 372, bite my tongue.

Very clean looking 044 you have there High Scale, And yes Bodean I like my 044 better then my 372 also.
Just the convenient master control switch on the 044 is so much nicer to use then the stupid slide switch and pull choke on the 372.
My 044 is a 1st year model and is almost 22 years old. Still runs like a winner. Even got a Pro Safety full wrap handle for it I bought from Madsens years ago.
When I worked for Stihl the 044 just came on the market and one of the jobs I had to do was pass around a brochure promoting it against the competition, the Husqvarna 266XP and 268Xp.
The chrome 044 decal didn't scan very well here.

Willard.
scan0002.jpg

I've got my 044, a 372 and a 272.

The 44 just feels better, not to mention the low end chug.
Sharp chain and it's a spaghetti factory.

The 044 was a replacement for the 038 Mag as all know .The 44 was just an rch smaller in displacement by a few cc's and had a few more r's than the Mag if the mag was a stocker .

Both these saws are now just a piece of history as they no longer are manufactured in north America although they can still hold their own .

Along comes the 441 that has had mixed reviews .I've ran Toms ' and it does okay from my view point so you just never know it could prove out to be a winner .

At any rate ,history lesson completed that machine will make you a very good saw,you won't be disappointed .

Al, I managed to get my 441 stuck today while limbing a beech.
Classic case of having run one saw all day w/o getting stuck. I then moved the truck a ½ mile away so I wouldn't hit it with the last two trees( I am not a man of many principles, but I adhere strictly to this one: don't fall a tree that can reach your truck!!) of course I promptly got the saw stuck and had to walk down to the truck and get the old standby 460 out. Running that right after the 441, my first impression was: " Man, that is aggressive", second thought:" That thing sure vibrates a LOT!".

Saws change.

Mostly for the better.

My friend had 30 acres south of Talahasse he was logging. The guy that owned the band mill had a skidder he made out of a 4 wheel drive pickup. The guy was getting ready to cut a tree, and my bud asked him if he wanted to move his truck. Nah, the guy said. BIG mistake. He crushed the truck to the ground and hit the skidder to. OOPS!!

Classic case of having run one saw all day w/o getting stuck. I then moved the truck a ½ mile away so I wouldn't hit it with the last two trees( I am not a man of many principles, but I adhere strictly to this one: don't fall a tree that can reach your truck!!).

I would add that you also never fall a tree that blocks your trucks access to your exit :D

Glad the hear you testify about that . One smart ass that used to moderate a web site claimed he had only stuck a saw once in his life .I replied that he must not have much time on the trigger which pissed him off to no end .Happens to everybody .

I have to agree about the saws improving .Although I'm a collector and have a shed full of old icons most time I grab a more modern saw if I'm going to do some serious cutting .Fact is at one time I thought my old Poulan s-25 was the finest trim saw ever made then a Stihl 200T came into my life ----:)

Back