Now hiring!....still

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel ya CV. I don’t even own the company and weekly I ask if we can fire almost everyone and go back to just a few of us. I’m just tired of every guy that climbed a tree as a kid thinking they are worth $25 an hour with benefits. And they think a drug test is a violation of their rights.
Lol! If I started drug testing I’d really be up shits creek😂

And we don’t want to drug test. It’s costly. Also a condition of our biggest contract. In fact they dictate it.

So, not to hyjack the thread.
Just an update.
Those three weeks of big jobs I canceled, just filled up with 5 weeks of work.
More stuff I like to do. Pruning and simple removals. I will also work a 24' Goose Neck equipment trailer out of the deal for me.
So, i have to remind myself sometimes that the tree gods have other plans than mine. Often for the better.

I did end up hiring 2 guys. Young and inexperienced but they seem teachable. I’ve worked labor jobs most of my life starting with bailing hay for $5/hr when I was 12. Some people understandably have no clue what it means to work a labor job. I’ll try not to work them to death in the first week. !

Why would you drug test tree guys? That is just silly. For the same reasons you don't drug test school teachers or sales people - If you did, you would have very few.

I expect to be taken for my word instead of tested. If my word has no value, then i don't want to work with them. I think most people use it as a threat in job offers and only when necessary if people are acting suspicious.

Years ago I worked for a landscape company that decided to drug test for cheaper insurance. All but one guy failed. The boss spend the whole year driving us all to our jobs and picking us up. Dropping of material etc...
We were all very amused.

I went to get on boarded for a client... for construction... they tried to test me... I said I was gonna be dirty so they put me on the Design/Consult side and gave me a badge no piss test same money same access. Semantics and syntax.

I can be randomly tested by an old client I worked for under a management company. Strange set up as I have not worked for them for 3 years, but was contracted to be clean for 5. company I worked through could suffer massive financial penalties if I fail - I did mention this when they did not want to pay my final invoice - came through rapidly all of a sudden 😎

Last edited:
I've never been tested for work. I was threatened with the possibility working on amtrak property if I remember right(might have been the nuclear plant, dunno), but it's never happened.

I had to when I was in banking and insurance (the bank had to bond me for potential $1bn mistakes, in case my system caused a major downstream f'up; the insurance company always tested everyone). Was thankfully only drinking, so no worries there.

I've written about this before, way back in some now gone version of Butch's TreeHouse. As a USFS employee, carrying certification to use a firearm on duty, I was subject to random drug tests.

The rules said, I had to report to the contract lab within 2 hours of notification, or was considered non-responsive and thus guilty by default.

The lab was on the west side of Portland, well over an hour from my official duty station...and my normal work took me from 45 minutes to 120 minutes farther out in the field beyond that.

I got the call twice, relayed over the USFS radio net. I did head in, but I never made it on time...in fact, I never made it to the lab at all. Both times, my supervisor intervened and said I was not in a location to be able to meet the legal demands.

Pretty dumb setup, and all focused on peeps that work in town. Policy makers live in the urban environment, with full time cell service. Not so much, for most of us on the ground grunts.

I am sure I was far from the only Forest Service employee that found themselves in a similar situation.

Same here...firearm carry position = random drug testing and zero tolerance. Not worth it for me. At least the test kits are sent to our local clinic/lab.

I can be randomly tested by an old client I worked for under a management company. Strange set up as I have not worked for them for 3 years, but was contracted to be clean for 5. company I worked through could suffer massive financial penalties if I fail - I did mention this when they did not want to pay my final invoice - came through rapidly all of a sudden 😎

What an odd arrangement!

When I played international grade hockey in addition to a mandatory test we were subject to random testing like Burnham. You had to be contactable and report to the testing company...I told them I didn't have a phone at the top of a tree...
I never got called.

Back