New guy from Australia, California

The Working Climber Video Series is... the video manifestation of the "Fundamentals of General Tree Work" All the same topics are covered. But in even more detail.

The DVDs were discontinued, but the series is available on thumb-drive.

More compatible. Less digital artifacts. Plays much better.

Over 20 hours of instruction.

Similar to youtube vids today, but produced during 2002 to 2007.

Before Go-Pro. Youtube was a few years old at the time

All state of the art technology in the day.

I'd look at a full-gap facecut, which creates a tall hinge.

@stig introduced a "German Cut", which is a vertical bore cut in front of the 'standard' face, creating an opportunity for the lower section of the hinge to flex.

A Sizwheel/ Whizzy also allows the tension side of a hinge to flex more.

A Triple-hinge is worth trying.

Shave the bark off and look at the grain of the wood in your hinge area. Beware the effects of spiral grain on your hinge. People don't always see the discontinuity of fibers due to spiral grain.

On continuity of fibers, as Nutball was saying, don't cut off your hinge through mis-perception of continuous-vertical fiber holding wood in your hinge when you have a tall back-cut.

90 degree retainer lines work a treat. Sometimes it can take some finagling to get a solid anchor point established at 90 degrees, especially in the desert. Picket anchors offer some options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking about the possibility of ground anchors the other day….

Here’s one way out of the box…lag bolt heavy hinges or short sections of chain to the tree in the desired hinge area…or heavy rope?

Last edited:
I've wondered about the idea of reinforcing the hinge with a chain and long, heavy lags for a funky situation.

Never went anywhere with the idea.

Probably for good reason.

I was sittin' on a mountain reading this weekend, among other things, more on that later (dying Jeffrey Pines). I didn't get a lot out of Dent's book that I didn't already know, but I want to thank @gf beranek for taking the time to write his book...most excellent! Now on to the videos on thumb drive.

Dont forget High Climbers and Timber Fallers, one of the best books ever

Is that a learning/teaching book or more just about them?
It’s a book of stories about massive trees felled by men. “some real hairy chested man shit” stories of men bathing in saw chips of felled giants just so they can “say with some qualification that they were there”. If you love those kinds of stories then that book is for you. Huge trees!

Sure David!

Prolly an hour or two to piece it down.

Jomo
I was thinking it would be pretty fun/epic to fell it…but also sketchy being hollow and so much limbs/foliage. Will probably be next winter, thinking to put a gtg together.

@gf beranek I don’t know. I know red river gum (fork close to the ground) and blue gum (seem to be more pole like with foliage at top). @Jomo?

Back