Time for a new lowering device and looking for opinions

canadianclimber

TreeHouser
Hey,

Need to replace my portawarap. Looking at the two stein options (rc2000 or the SMB1000). The majority of my rigging is light duty.(sub 500lbs). Anyone have any experience with either? Do you prefer the fixed bollard over a portable wrap? The RC200 seems like a mix of both.

That's the decision when I have to lower , when to go from portowrap to GCRS ... usually go big when a little hoisting is key .... Portolawrap has let us brake and lower some heavies safe and easy. More setup time to go beyond

i enjoy the ability to finetune the friction with a fixed bollard and 4 cleats and to take less than 1 wrap but mainly use either a port-a-wrap or hobbs depending on the task. instead of the stein bollard i would buy the ftc micro bollard, same max rope diameter but made out of aluminium, much better heat dissipation and its cute :)

I've got the stein 2000 as well. I really like the 1/4 wrap adjustments and the bigger bollard over a standard porty. I use a cam strap to hold up the top, makes it easy to setup and dismantle. All that being said my standard port a wrap probably sees the most use. You can't go wrong with either

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sub 500lb, not negative blocking, I use a rescue 8 from the top of the tree.

You wore out a porty.... what weren't you happy about with it that prevents you from just buying another porty?

Didn't wear it out. Just gonna pass it on to a friend getting into the business. I've been wanting to try something different for awhile. Thought maybe going the fixed bollard route and there seems to be some more compact versions around now. GRCS would not be worth it for me. The RC1000 seems like a mix of both. Like the idea of being able to keep the device upright (no ports wrap flop). Sounds like fixed bollards might be easier for newbies to learn to "let it run".

I use a ratchet-strap to hold the POW up.

Good to pass it to a friend.
And
When a storm hits, many LDs are good.

I have the stein fixed bollard. The two ton one. 2001 iirc:

Much easier to use for a beginner and pretty bomb proof. If find it easier to gauge friction and to let it run on sketchy trees.

Back