My shop

There was(is?) a big ass Morbark chipper for sale on my way to work. Very pretty and red. Had me thinking "Hmm...". That would totally be a recreational chipper sitting in my yard if I got it.

With 6.5 acres, is it really even an issue with the parking? I imagine you have a fair amount of property not visible from the street.

I mean I'm in a residential neighborhood and had 2 bucket trucks and a chipper/chip truck in my back yard on a 3/4 acre lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
With 6.5 acres, is it really even an issue with the parking? I imagine you have a fair amount of property not visible from the street.

I mean I'm in a residential neighborhood and had 2 bucket trucks and a chipper/chip truck in my back yard on a 3/4 acre lot.
Surprisingly nearly the whole property is visible from the road it was once all farm field. I do have trees being planted I'm swapping a job for trees with my buddy who owns a nursery.

Oh, congrats by the way. Awesome setup, I'm green with envy.

I imagine you have plenty of room to recycle all your tree debris in house. No more dump fees!

I never paid to dump anyways. I have a nursery that will take all of my chips and I have enough space to use/spread chips on two properties. I also have enough wood burner/boiler guys to dump off wood on and a new development my flooring guy bought a property with five acres and he wants all the wood I can bring him. I told him "I'll bring it until you cry uncle" he said "bring it!" the next day he got three loads lol. I live in a fairly rural area but that is changing with all the FIBS( sorry Kyle) moving out of Chicago and other parts of the state. For example there is a housing development just down the road and has had no new building since the sub prime crash, now, seven new houses since March all former FIBS(sorry Kyle).
I did manage to get a 40x60' area approved for outside storage of logs for "personal use" lol to precess firewood for the wood stove.

I did manage to get a 40x60' area approved for outside storage of logs for "personal use" lol to precess firewood for the wood stove.
Huh? What communist country do you live in? You need to get permission from the government to stack a few logs on your own land? Unbelievable. I could never live in a blue state. I refused to buy within city limits for the same reason. If you are regulated that much, then you don't ever own your own land. You just rent it from the government.

My apologies for the derail. Good luck to you and I hope you don't end up like Paul Cox losing everything to the government.

Huh? What communist country do you live in? You need to get permission from the government to stack a few logs on your own land? Unbelievable. I could never live in a blue state. I refused to buy within city limits for the same reason. If you are regulated that much, then you don't ever own your own land. You just rent it from the government.

My apologies for the derail. Good luck to you and I hope you don't end up like Paul Cox losing everything to the government.
Life is good. It just has to be zoned proper. WI is very much red but not in the seats of power.

I live in a commie country, Brian. And I just happen to have some 80 cubic meters of firewood logs dumped on my property.
Why should that be a problem?

The difference is it's for personal use not commercial. I can keep dumping logs at my house all I want because it's for personal use in my fire place. But dumping on commercial property needs correct zoning, I don't get it.

This is why industrial is where it's at, you can pretty much do anything. I've seen people dump hundreds of frameless semis without even the thought of a permit on industrial sites. You still can't pollute tho. I have friends that have industrial sites, it's just kinda "the way". Not cheap tho. Commercial has too many restrictions for what we do.

I live in a fairly rural area but that is changing with all the FIBS( sorry Kyle) moving out of Chicago and other parts of the state. For example there is a housing development just down the road and has had no new building since the sub prime crash, now, seven new houses since March all former FIBS(sorry Kyle).

Hey, we are not all bad! Congrats on the new property with the shop!

FIB is more directed to Chicago but sadly all of Illinois gets the rap. I know there are some good people from IL present company included. :)

The house is nice, clean and taken care of, the roof and septic are old and will need to be replaced in the short future but are functioning at this time. The house was built in 1912 by a Dutch farmer but not the Dutch farmer that I bought it from. Hardwood floors, solid wood custom kitchen, cheap counter top but it's a rental now so whatever. Single bath, three bedroom ranch. Good for a retired couple or young family.

Last edited:
How old are the bathroom fixtures? I really like the old porcelain and plumbing hardware.

Back