my dirt bag cabin

I won't be able to afford going to Cali again next year or I would sign up for that in a flash.

It's a great area, and you have the surf and sand not too far away as well. My cabin was in the Redwoods, but a little south in Watsonville. Anyone know Corralitos? A drive through apple orchards to get there. Very fond memories, fun to spooky. Jaime's part of the north coast is a cool area to check out for sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ok, its been a few weeks. where did i leave off? all the bales are up and in place, the outside walls are trimmed, the corners are re-enforced with wire and were ready to plaster!

all baled up!
IMG_0655.jpg

the juice jug windows working as planned...

IMG_0706.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg

all the odd nooks and crannies due to the curved wall intersections and roof slope got filled with straw mixed with clay

IMG_0700.jpg

first test patch of first coat plaster! this is a mix of sand (the native soil basically), paper pulp, clay, lime, and cement.

IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

Moar...

the window frames get pinned to the bales with rebar pins...

IMG_0718.jpg IMG_0721.jpg

the first window is in:blob5:

IMG_0722.jpg

you can sort of see the wire baskets above the windows. those will get stuffed with straw. makes things easier and i can make a nice curved transition that will let in more light.

IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

my lovely wife stuffing the window basket. she is smiling, can you tell?;)

IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0753.jpg

Even moar....

to beef up the shear strength i added steel strapping from the beam to the concrete wall cap. i will also be adding diagonal bracing on the timber frame inside.

IMG_0754.jpg

my lovely wife again, this time scratching the plaster.

IMG_0758.jpg

the gable windows! funny story, all the windows in the building are off craigslist or salvaged from the abandoned property next door. i designed the gable windows on a pair of double pane vinyl set i found up there. well i should have measured both windows, because one had a slightly different top angle to it:|:.:|:. now i have to order a custom window to match. oh well, it will look nice;)

IMG_0759.jpg

and the plastering continues...

IMG_0774.jpg

Back