my dirt bag cabin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
update! plastering is my life now. im finally through with the first coat and starting on the second.

first coat working its way across the front
IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

the side
IMG_0794.jpg
the front done!
IMG_0818.jpg
the back almost done
IMG_0820.jpg
the front with the final window in place
IMG_0843.jpg

really crappy picture of the start on the second coat. this coat will fill in all the odd spots and smooth out the walls, as well as joining the building top and bottom. this mix is dirt, clay, lime, cement, paper pulp, and shredded redwood bark.
IMG_0847.jpg

Ha! im making it up as i go! most of this stuff ive picked up out of books and off the internet. youtube for the win!

Last edited:
i havent posted any pictures in a while, but that doesnt mean i havent been working on it.
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
the eve extensions going up. the bottom edge shows and im using the shou sugi ban scorched wood technique for looks.

Ahhh..Jaime, I so wish I'd been able to fit the gathering you hosted into my schedule. Looks better every time you post pictures. You and your wife are doing a magical thing there. Best wishes, my friend.

yes Stig, thats the plan. final coat of plaster will be a lime/sand mixture, should come out very white. still toying with the idea of doing the lower half in a dark color to break up the verticality of the front.

speaking of pigment that never fades, how about carbon black? Brian, aka toyotadon, milled me some live edge cypress boards for my fascia. i decided to try shou sugi ban. torched the boards black, brushed them off with a stiff brush and gave them a coat of deck treatment. i think they turned out really nice. they are iridescent in the sun.
IMG_1520.jpg IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1529.jpg IMG_1526.jpg

Back