Mini Universal......BOMBER!

A box with a light bulb will keep them dry. But you still need a rod warmer to make a certified weld.

"That's not to say you can't do the whole kit and kaboodle with 7018"
That not entierly true lumberjack. Any joint with a open root must be welded with a 6011 first. 7018 or any "low/hy" rod is too susceptibe to root cracking. Now you may be able to get away with it in this case but why not just do it right. As far as the chain goes in that size it's probably forged in which case it's weldable. However, I've seen some cheapazz chain that's cast in which case it aint.

Depends on what machine you have .On a DC machine good old 6010 works a tad better that 6011 which is an ac/dc rod . Actually true 7018 is its self a DC reverse rod . Forney and a couple of others make an AC version of it though .

7018 will produce the highest x-ray quality welds of any .You can get into the exotics like 8018,11018 and 11016 but they are for armor plate and T-1 and HY-80 steel and not necessary for this type of welding .

On 7018 or any rod for that matter ,keep your rods dry . On any critical jobs I just bake them in the oven a tad bit or toss them on top of the woodstove .

Nickle rod is especially susceptible to drawing moisture and cost a bunch of dough too boot .I keep them in plastic bags and those bags inside of a plastic container but they still draw moisture .:(

Back