Mini Universal......BOMBER!

No_Bivy

Treehouser
Broke my third universal joint and decided to try something different. The first from TNT dave was a bolt through the top which eventually wore until it snapped. The second was a PTO universal joint rom my crane guy....third was another universal from a parts house..

The problem with all of them was there was not enough range of motion so it would bind and eventually break. This time I used 3/4 overhead lifting chain, rated for a shitload. Links measure 4" long each. Only two half and one full link were needed. We turned a 2 1/4 " shaft which comes down through the top. Pretty damn simple. This joint has full range of motion....so far so good.

Damn looks like an anchor chain for a lake frieghter .

Weld job looks fine but a constructive comment .That chain is carbon steel .It might ,although I doubt , have some problems regarding fracture of the weld joint . Because of the fact the load should be under tension rather than side load it should be okay .It might not be a bad idea to provide some method of getting grease between the rotational joints though . Good job .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Damn looks like an anchor chain for a lake frieghter .

Weld job looks fine but a constructive comment .That chain is carbon steel .It might ,although I doubt , have some problems regarding fracture of the weld joint . Because of the fact the load should be under tension rather than side load it should be okay .It might not be a bad idea to provide some method of getting grease between the rotational joints though . Good job .:)

Yeah I know it aint loading the right way.......but I think the grapple will break before the chain does...28000 safe working load limit!!

Im into my second one, this one has bushings through the center.
Your mini looks to be in good shape compared to ours.
We have crunched the exhaust cover , but the sheild protecting the radiator is still there.
Yours in gone ?
I think that new universal looks bomber.

Yeah I know it aint loading the right way.......but I think the grapple will break before the chain does...28000 safe working load limit!!
28 thou safe load is most likely twice that on lifting chain . I doubt it breaks out . Can you imagine dragging a twenty foot section of that chain with a hook on both ends ,good grief .:O

l like your idea and think it's really a neat, inexpensive way to tackle the problem.
I'm curious what was the filler metal used in the welding? and what process?

OK, if and I mean IF it breaks start next time with a 6010 or 6011 then finish up with the 7018 the resultant weld will be much stronger.

I want to know whay Johns mini is still so perfect .
Hes getting close to a 1000 hours.
John, you must be a wizard?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1100 hrs...I got the skills to pay the bills.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXEtqXcGZLo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXEtqXcGZLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OK, if and I mean IF it breaks start next time with a 6010 or 6011 then finish up with the 7018 the resultant weld will be much stronger.

Would you explain this please? I've done this before because I thought the 6011 penetrates better and I finished with the 7018 because it looks better.

Steve,
Yes the 6011 penetrates better. And does a good job of flowing out impurities on the root pass. But the 7018 not only looks better, it is also stronger, 70K psi to 60K psi. And it is better for blending high alloy carbon steel materials together.

That's not to say you can't do the whole kit and kaboodle with 7018.

FWIW, 7018's need to be stored in a low humidity environment, or cooked in the oven (I use 450*F) for 45-60 minutes spread out on a cookie sheet. The flux absorbs water, using "wet" (figurative) rods can cause hydrogen embrittlement and porosity.

Most of the time I only go stick for non critical, poorly prepared welds with 6010-11's. I do most of my welding with MIG.

If I was welding the chain I'd use straight 7018.

Good point. I heat up more than I need, wrap them in a towel or glove to help hold the heat in.

I stop using that batch when they are cool enough to touch (not hold)with a bare finger.

I believe you can get a heated rod holder that goes over your shoulder that dispenses one at a time. Bridge builders and the like use them. I've gotten a lot of complaints from people when I suggest 7018, and most of them have an open 50 pound can under the bench. Good 7018 and a big DC welder is the just the ticket for stick welding.

we used to have an old refridgerator with a small electric heater in it that we kept all of our rod in

Back