milling thread

Nice! Is that a Woodlands mill? They are popular over at the Forestry Forum. Good to see the resource being used.

Dude.....what will i do with more pine? I pulled these out of the park today....probably make something....

Got a great book on joinery...by Charles Hayward....as referred by Jay....some bad ass tools also from Sir Jay..... pretty inspiring.

Anyway..... I'm happy.

61cdc0f2cdc33f7bd28f7f6200714972.jpg

106ec6f3e75a60bd811f3e35a192cb68.jpg

5663abedf7492a73e6d2fafb46630343.jpg

Wonderful box there, Willie...makes me think of "Little House on the Prairie"...functional and old school.

Awesome tools, too...good stuff, Jay.:D

Good luck with the knives, Deva. Your Pine got me thinking. Nothing wrong with painting outdoor furniture when using a wood that otherwise wouldn't hold up well for that application. Benches can look pretty good in a nice color. That's how they used to do it before plastic or metal furniture came into use for exteriors. Some of the intended for outdoor use woodwork was so comfortable that they moved it indoors and it started a whole new design inspiration.

Thanks Jay, I'm thinking something Adirondacky.

Big twig. I've heard the big alaskan mills will bend the bar and give a fat bellied slab.

Thanks, Deva. Any size you'd specifically recommend? What are you milling with? Appreciate your help.

I went with the 32" granberg because i got an old junky 272 I'm trying to kill on this mill. No luck yet.

We have the 60" one at work with 088 and 404... it works ok. Just watch as you go and don't rush. The first cut has to be level and perfect because the following cuts rely on the first one.....

Good idea with the ladder rails Stephen. Lots of info in this thread, got about 16 pages in. Thanks for all the help.

Is it easier to control the first cut with a shorter bar and mill, or is it just about taking your time? I plan on grabbing a few loops of new ripping chain.

Some planks and probably a beam (cant?) or two. This is a pine cant will be cut smaller eventually. This one is 12" X 15"

Attachments

• IMG_20150427_172439013_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150427_172439013_HDR.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 74
My neighbor with the Hud-son banda mill has taken to cant-ing what he isn't ready to mill to final dimensions.

Back