makita mini

Saws break down to $/hr of operation. If you blow up a $100 bar by using $50 in oil rather than $200 in oil, did you really lose? I'd test it myself if I did enough cutting to generate some real data. I'd have to live to 90, and you guys would have to be really patient for my results :^D I wish someone would at least halfass test it though.

On the same subject, I'd like to see Stihl's test results for bar oil quantity. You know they tested it, and decided against prevailing wisdom that stingy oiling was fine. How fine is it?

On the same subject, I'd like to see Stihl's test results for bar oil quantity. You know they tested it, and decided against prevailing wisdom that stingy oiling was fine. How fine is it?
No idea for the tests, but I guess that they took the bare minimum quantity of oil mechanically acceptable to be able to get the "ecofriendly" label. Like the carb setting at the leanest possible (and locked as is) to match the emissions regulations.

I'm not a logger, I use my chainsaws too sparcely and too inconsistently to make a valuable trial between mineral and oil. My onliest reference point is KOX, a forestry gear seller who proposes a kit with a bar and 4 chains together (even 5 chains in promo mode). The point is that the bar lives long enough to eat 4 chains. My guess in my case is more like 1 bar for 2 chains, but I feel that the comparaison isn't very relevant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the echo? the makita is electric so it has all those advantages, but the 2511 rips. you just have pull start it which makes it a slower tool when your pruning. depending on the size of wood your dealing with. the makita 06 is smaller and lighter than the 2511 but is smaller in every way. But i haven't used gas for anything but bigger wood in removals for a while now.

I pulled the trigger on the makita. Its okish with the stock 3/8lp .043 gauge chain. I have a 1/4 pitch 12" bar, chain x2, and sprocket coming from sawagian.com. $54.97. I let one of my sub climbers check it out. He digs it. Like Kevin said, its like its not even there.

I looked at the little makita top handles today at Agfest (Massive outdoor agricultural field day, you can buy just about anything...)
The single battery, 12" bar jobbie, skin only was $345AUD...with a battery in the weight was comparable to a 150t. The double battery one approaches the weight of a 200t...I'm severely tempted by the little one...

Just ordered the little one, and a 16" rear handle one since it came with 4 batteries and would be sweet on the ground for chipper processing. I'm thinking once I'm in big enough wood that the little one is under powered, moving up to a rear handle 50cc one would be better than pushing a 16" top handle to the task. Basically changing saws sooner but gaining mobility when i need it on the lighter stuff. Time will tell, i might end up getting the 16 battery one but I'm thinking I'll be good without it.

So, might have gotten lost in the thread, the little one battery Makita top handle feels comparable in weight to my 150t and the two battery Makita top handle comparable to my 200t.

Dunno Kyle, haven't bought one yet...was just hefting it at the show. Its been my biggest reluctance to go battery in the tree, the Stihl and Husky ones are heavier than a 150t, comparable to a 200t (and clunky in shape) and given I hate lugging a 200t around unless absolutely necessary, what was the point in going battery if there was no weight savings for me.
Kevin and JB (who posts on FB) are happy with the little Makita, good enough references right there I reckon.

I'll let you guys know what i think after i have a chance to put them thru the paces a bit. Think they are supposed to show up Saturday

Indeed, and this has lead to speculation whether the 20m/s chainsaw trousers are sufficient protection.
I've only ever seen one brand higher and they were 21m/s . Arbortec if I'm not mistaken

After a lot of cutting....it is great for small to medium clean outs on trees. Anything over 6" takes a few seconds more, but it works well for what it is ment to do. Hows the Monday folks?

Good! I've only gotten to play with mine, haven't been able to put them to work yet, but so far it seems like they will be just fine for my needs.

Back