makita mini

I got the single battery one, not entirely impressed. I want to get the different sprocket and put 1/4 picco on it, feels too clunky with 3/8 lp Cant get the sprocket here...so it's parked for the moment.

I'm pretty sure electrics are the future, both for us treegeeks, and for transpo as well.

But for me, the batteries for a chainsaw will have to develop to the point where the operating life is measured in an hour or more give or take, not a few tens of minutes.

Same for an electric vehicle, pretty much. Until I can expect 400 miles range, and fast charge sites every 250 miles or less on all major routes, 350 miles on minor ones...I'm not buying. I live very rural...and I travel long distances by car when going places recreationally. Range is a "have to have" requirement.

Obviously, I am not an urban driver. For those folks, the tech is getting mighty close to fruition.

It's getting there. I've seen info on these, but this is the best link I know of...thanks, John.

Still, the charging network has to be developed, for me to consider buying.

Leaving aside the issue of battery life, replacement costs, and recycling issues. Additional factors all, for me.

I could personally live without a charge network. A 250 mile range would handle 90%+ of my needs. I could rent a vehicle for that other ~10%, and still come out ahead monetarily.

The batteries are expensive no doubt. I haven't looked into it seriously, cause while the prices of (some)electrics aren't terrible, they're out of the range I'm willing to pay for a vehicle. I suspect if you ran the numbers, battery replacement would compare favorably with an ICE over a lifetime due to ICE's complexity, fuel consumption, and maintenance. I imagine recycling gets handled by the shop swapping batteries. Like a core charge on ICE components when you buy a new part. An interesting use for a beat battery bank would be household power using solar. There's still a lot of power left in an old battery, just not enough to reliably power a car. It becomes more useful when it becomes stationary.

I have the baby saw and the 2 battery rear handle, they both run about as long as i would expect a tank of gas to last. I can't bring myself to do it, but I'm pretty sure both can run 2 battery charges on a tank of oil, which is very impressive because it only takes a few seconds to swap batteries. I think I'll be getting the top handle 16 inch too, the mini is great in the tips, but it's quickly overpowered working the limb back to the trunk on some of the hardwoods I've run it on.

Is standard makita chain 1/4 or 3/8"?
Any good?

2511t stock bar and chain blows. The Stihl conversion rocks.

The one I saw was ⅜lp.

I like that setup on my 2511, but not the stock chain or bar. Not as good for fine pruning cuts, but more robust.

Stock is 3/8LP it's too big for the single battery saw imo
If I could get the sprocket id swap in a heartbeat with a spare 1/4 stihl bar and chain I have.

Back