Loose oil cap.

Yippeee, a flippy cap thread!!!

I've had one cap come apart, and a couple that are just troublesome. I have to clean the troublesome ones in gas from time to time to get them to behave.
I think if someone says they've never had oil down their legs, or put oil in the gas tank, they have never been out cuttin'!

So far there has only been one time I have worn oil while up a tree. Funny, it never happened again :/:

On the ground, my 066 is notorious for it. Sometimes I just don't torque it quite as tight as I like and the vibration just does the rest.

---or put a chain on backwards
That's something most irritating. I was cutting underbrush way ahead of the crew back when I worked with Asplundh. The foreman had me going ahead of the others with a Poulan 25 (one of our climbing saws), cutting down hedges and such, while the others followed with the bigger saws, cutting the trees bordering the ROW. The chain broke on the saw I was using, so I walked back to the truck, over 1/4 mile away. While I took a break and got a drink, one of the other guys put a new chain on for me. I hadn't been out there long, and was low man on the totem pole. I walked all the way back to where I was cutting, cranked the saw, and found he had put the chain on backward. I tromped all the way back to the truck, handed it to him and told him once he got it right, HE could go cut hedges a while.

The old S-25's were'nt bad saws considering .Oh yeah I've hit the wood with a chain on back assward ,more than once .

Several more things you will do is kiss the dirt and hang a saw in the cut .About everyone has or will or they handle the truth rather carelessly .

Nah, it was no initiation. The guy was just absent minded. It did learn me to either do it myself from then on, or at least check to see that it's on right. I'm proud to say I've never put one on backward. I spotted a 200T on eBay a few weeks ago that was wearing a chain in reverse. Talk about quality advertising!:lol:

Scott, along with the chain, if you haven't put the oil in the gas tanks or vice versa, you are one heck of a perfect individual. I think I put the chain on backwards about once, but noticed it quick, probably when I went to sharpen. :lol:

Skwishey, have you ever spun up a loop of chain with a twist in it? When I was working at the city, the foreman did that to me once. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get that chain on the saw.

Actually the damned thing did gnaw into the wood a tad .I wondered what in the world is wrong with this chain .I'm better with file than that .Nobody saw it but me .Still feel dumb about it .

The flippy caps only close one way and open only one way. If you break it, you did it wrong. Sure, you can get it twisted out of it's two-part seat, but you gotta twist more than is necessary to do so.

The screw on caps, hand tight should do it. If not, you got a bad seal on the O-ring. Some guys will use a scrench to tighten the Stihl screw on caps. Bad idea and unnecessary. You'll loosen the center of that cap and it will leak over time. Hand tight gets them seated tight for me.

I did get oil dumped once. I just set the flippy cap in it's seat and closed the lid without turning it (what I get for being in a hurry). Pick up the saw to cut at shoulder height and got a tankful from the shirt down. Instead of driving the mile to the house, I walked and changed clothes.

I had a Ho we did a takedown for ask me if I would file his electric chainsaw for him.
He simply couldn't get that thing to cut.

Kinda hard finding a diplomatic way of telling the guy that he had the chain on backwards.

Back