Log arch vs. parbuckling vs. rolling tailboard?

Dunno how many 80s F series trucks are kicking around France, but you might check into it, and your domestic equivalents.
Unfortunately, the pickup truck is a rare breed here. And due to stupid legislation, the vehicles are substantially weaker. Strong ones exist obviously, but they fall very quick in the special permit category.

Unfortunately, the pickup truck is a rare breed here. And due to stupid legislation, the vehicles are substantially weaker. Strong ones exist obviously, but they fall very quick in the special permit category.
Viva la pickup! That's a damn shame right there! Here I'm complaining that the prices have gone up on old trucks. Yall ain't got none? Can't run em if ya did?

There's a bald eagle crying somewhere!

This man has never witnessed the glory of the Ford Ranger! The little truck that can move the world!

If your unfamiliar with the lore of the Ford Ranger, I'll try to be short. It'll fit in the back of that 2 1/2 ton military truck David has, and any one that owns one of these little rigs, thinks it's the perfect truck to haul that Deuce and a half.

images (2).jpeg

We got pickups, not Yankee size, I think you call them compact, but they do a job.
Three of mine over the last decade or so.

View attachment 136148View attachment 136149View attachment 136150
I'm with B, that defender is beautiful! What are those other two? Sleek looking, i really like the blue one, whatever it is lolz.

The Ranger is a compact, and their drivers are rabid supporters of the platform.

I like little trucks, they're tons of fun for the money. Way better on gas than the 460 cubic inch V8 in my rig.

One of the best trucks I've owned was a little 1990 dodge Dakota. Easy to work on, didn't need it often. Back then our road was much worse, and that Dakota didn't mind the mud at all, even when made to haul 2000lbs of water in the back, only 1200lbs over the rated payload

Round here, fido wouldn't get a vote. Fine truck there @Mick!. My wife would give the whole family's eye teeth for that one.

Was it as good off road as it looks?

Honestly I didn’t have it long, I bought it off my BiL and then sold it back to him almost straight away.
It was my second Defender, this was my first.
They are more of a hobby than a vehicle, constantly needing fettling.
I like reliable stuff, trucks, saws, water heaters whatever.
Other people liked it more than me.
Off road it was awesome, tow hitch was a bit of a plough in dips etc. though.

IMG_1125.jpeg

Honestly I didn’t have it long, I bought it off my BiL and then sold it back to him almost straight away.
It was my second Defender, this was my first.
They are more of a hobby than a vehicle, constantly needing fettling.
I like reliable stuff, trucks, saws, water heaters whatever.
Other people liked it more than me.
Off road it was awesome, tow hitch was a bit of a plough in dips etc. though.

View attachment 136158
Bolded above...rings a bell :). My old 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder was just the same. Fun to drive, but it took a lot of ongoing fiddling to keep it on the road.

I reckon fiddling is the same as fettling, eh? :D

Trailer mount is a viable option as well. Yeah i would definitely go with longer poles. Here's a nice chart to help with sizing them, machinery handbook for the win. I think these are with a 3:1 safety factor, i would go 5:1, so basically multiply the acceptable load by 3/5 to give you the 5:1 safety rating. Remember your guy lines will add a load as well, so you gotta do the statics calculations to determine the load. For a shortcut the army rigging manual says that sheers (aka gin poles on a truck) are 7/8 of the capacity of the two poles together.

20210422_131139.jpg

For smaller diameter pipe here's the chart, from a structural column load chart pdf. You can also do spreaders and truss them for even more capacity, I'm planning that for a set on mine for heavy picks.

Screenshot_20211111-091809_Drive.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@davidwyby

Why wouldn’t you get a tracked/wheeled loader or excavator, tow it with your 6x6, and be able to forward, skid, process, pile, clean, lift, load, haul, etc. with one combination setup?
My tree work is a side gig with not enough $ to justify a piece of equipment. I run a machine and welding shop and am old school and like making stuff, rigging, etc.

I'm thinking everyone should have a gin pole setup, you can even go old school with chain falls, super simple and cheap. They're just stupid handy to have, and since they aren't hydraulic they won't bleed off, very handy when working on stuff. The height and capacity make it a handy tool to have around, you could even do a small trailer one and move it around with a mini, increasing lifting capacity and height. This about maxed out the 1 ton fall, can't wait till i finally mount the 10k Braden winch with 250 feet of cable on it. Like all things in life you can go as complicated or simple as you like, a couple pieces of pipe, a few homemade welded fittings, a bunch of different ways to rig it, and now you can pick up whatever you want to.

20210425_172058.jpg

This popped up in my youtube feed the other day, not even close to as capable as an actual pole truck, but it's even simpler and would be handy enough to whip up if needed in a pinch, and simple enough to leave in the back of a truck so you have it. Mind numbingly simple, but it works in a pinch. Sticks and string, compression and tension members, has worked for millenia. The tight chain on the bucket bothers me to no end tho, as does using a come along rather than a chain fall, falls work much faster and more comfortable.

Back