Kyles redneck builds/ ideas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well since I'm doing trees again I'm getting to use all my new stuff I've built and found some stuff i want to change. I was using a harbor freight right angle drill to drive my sailboat winch for the chipper winch, but it melted the brush holders because it's not designed for that heavy of use. So I've decided to use a rear differential powered off the engine, which will be more than enough power to do it all day without issue. I'm also thinking of adding some wire rope winches to it (down the road) so i can run it faster, and i think I've figured out an easier/cheaper way to control it than hydraulics, which would require building an entire hydraulic system since it's a chuck and duck. Before tractors and heavy equipment went hydraulic they sometimes used what's called a torque amplifier, which basically uses a small force to control one with a bunch more power. I was thinking if i built one of those i could then use a remote control to power 12v stepper motors so i could have synchronized winches. That would be cheaper and likely easier then trying to get solenoid valves, and I'll be able to build most of the parts myself.

I also welded up a hitch adapter for my old harbor freight truck crane kinda like a spitzlift, and my homemade booms put it to shame, so I'll make one for that so I'll be able to max out a 1 ton chainfall. I see the need to be able to simply back the truck to logs and grab them on some jobs, and by doing a hitch mount I'll still be able to pull the chipper so that parts cool.

Back