I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Burnham I brought this idea up about three months ago already and nobody objected. I can't imagine why bringing traffic to this website would be a bad thing, but then that's why I asked all of you. I will definitely ask @lumberjack what he thinks of all of this. Thanks, Burnham. If he objects, I have no problem pulling the plug on it. All I would be doing is addin links to this thread in my video descriptions.

I just splurged on some more hitch cords to add to my collection. The bundle on the far left consists of Sterling Flex in both 8mm and 10mm and I got some more of that seemingly rare, deep blue 9.3mm EpiCord that Wesspur has right now. By adding the two Flex cords, I've basically completed my huge collection of popular hitch cords for arborists and tree climbers that are tech cordage and double braid. I also bought some more HTC 8mm and another 10 feet of my all-time favorite hitch cord: Sterling RIT Response. They have it avaiable for small money at Wesspur. This is not an advertisement. I'm excited to cut each to size, sit down and start picking colors for polyester thread, and then begin hand whipping both ends of all of these bad boys. What will I do now that my collection is complete? Well, I've begun buying duplicates or triplicates of each one so that I can actually use some in the field, while preserving the beauty of others for use on my channel. I know, I'm addicted. Don't judge me! =-D

Oh, there's also some Bailout XL 9mm in there. This will be a duplicate of a custom spliced eye to eye I had made with the same cord.

@lumberjack Thanks for your input! I appreicate your "go-ahead!"
PXL_20230622_233616572.MP~2.jpg

Now it's time to start collecting non heat resistant cord ;^) I rather like Marlow Boa. Wesspur used to carry an 8mm Sterling I like a lot, but I don't think they have it anymore.

Now it's time to start collecting non heat resistant cord ;^) I rather like Marlow Boa. Wesspur used to carry an 8mm Sterling I like a lot, but I don't think they have it anymore.
You're such an enabler! I love it! I'll see if they have the Boa. It sounds familiar for some reason. Oh my, I just realized that I don't have any Ice Tail by Sampson. It's a 12-strand hitch cord. It's popular for use with foot locking prusiks, if I'm not mistaken. There are also a few others like the Tendon Timber and the Stein ATOL or the Courant Phoenix which might be worth adding for a more complete collection! Then I'll move onto the non heat resistant like you said. Then from there, I'll collect ropes, which will require a lot more savings per purchase. Hitch cords are pretty cheap, thankfully. It's the shipping that can be the killer if you don't make a $100 plus purchase. So, I guess I've decided that my collection is NOT complete, in a change of decision that is as impulsive as I am haha

Last edited:
I assume you watch wesspur's clearance rope section pretty close, right? Good way to try new lines cheap, and with srs, you can get away with pretty short ropes that are still useful. Using canopy ties, a <100' rope will get you pretty far up a tree.

Of course, I didn't have 57 different friction hitches to try it with :D.

But for the usual suspects, it didn't perform smoothly at all.

Those single braid hitch cords, even prusiks made with Tenex, make excellent hitches. Perhaps just not for descending. For ascent and for locking on and positioning, they are excellent from my experience and from what I've read. Thanks for the input!

Of course, I didn't have 57 different friction hitches to try it with :D.
Haha, it takes a certain type of unique gusto to become a member of the 57-Hitch Club. I think there's only one other member and his name is @Brocky. That's right! Name dropping! Sorry, Brocky, I didn't want to seem like nobody else has become a member of this elite club!

I would encourage everyone reading this to at least try and discover one new hitch during some down time on and off. It's extremely rewarding. If you take my advice and you come up with something new, don't be shy -- share it! I'll even post it on my channel with full credit given if that's something that excites you. At the very least, play around with a hitch cord privately at home and you may find that it's a lot more fun than you previously thought.

Ascending and descending a rope is 50x more rewarding when you're being suspended by a hitch that you designed and tested! It is the ultimate display of craftsmanship and it shows faith in one's own designs by hanging one's life on their creations with adroitness and confidence in the canopy!

My hitches aren't just art...they are LIFE SUPPORT. Take that to the bank and cash it. Like a boss. :smoker:

:big-bounce: Oh no he didn't!

EDIT: I'm addressing the forum based on @Burnham's post. So don't think I'm just addressing you, Burnham. This was me being playful, so I'm certainly not attacking anyone. =-D

Last edited:
@Brocky Thanks for the clarification. That was a major oversight on my behalf by thinking you were referring to a different hitch. I need to pay closer attention to what you're actually tying versus my interpretation of your message.

Having said that, it appears that everyone seems to really love the Ecstasy hitch. I'm so glad that I gave it such a powerful name! I'll have to play around with what you're showing in your images now that I have a correct understanding of which hitch you were referring to.

If the double leg version is called the Yhatsee hitch, then what is the single leg version called? Any relation to the game, Yahtzee? Or do they share one name and just have two different forms such as version I and II?
It’s spelled Ysatsce for both the single and double eye versions. Playing with making the eye, it morphed into a loop hitch by bringing the ends together for a stopper. Placing the knot at the top unclutters the carabiner.
IMG_6267.jpeg

It’s spelled Ysatsce for both the single and double eye versions. Playing with making the eye, it morphed into a loop hitch by bringing the ends together for a stopper. Placing the knot at the top unclutters the carabiner.
I particularly love the top version. Where did you learn this technique of securing hitches with stoppers like this? It has revolutionized how I climb by allowing me to use basic lengths of hitch cord instead of eye to eyes. Is this something you came up with on your own? What's really cool is how the stopper can pretty much be placed anywhere (not that you'd want to for some locations, though). I had been tying them at the bottom like number two, but sometimes the hitch can deform and elongate unexpectedly depending upon the hitch I've tied it with (I might be doing something wrong), so I'm going to experiment with tying the stopper at the top of the coil as shown in the first hitch.

Last edited:
@Brocky Hey look at this! Your tying technique is going to open up a lot of doors for me as I run out of options with eye to eyes! Introducing the TSUNAMI hitch, tied with my new Flex 8mm cord.

PXL_20230623_172730894.MP~2.jpg
Whaddya'll think? I love it! Ultra compact and less likely to congest a carabiner! Easy to inspect and easy to untie! I should probably have tied the stopper in the back, though.

EDIT: Changed the picture.

Last edited:
I particularly love the top version. Where did you learn this technique of securing hitches with stoppers like this? It has revolutionized how I climb by allowing me to use basic lengths of hitch cord instead of eye to eyes. Is this something you came up with on your own? What's really cool is how the stopper can pretty much be placed anywhere (not that you'd want to for some locations, though). I had been tying them at the bottom like number two, but sometimes the hitch can deform and elongate unexpectedly depending upon the hitch I've tied it with (I might be doing something wrong), so I'm going to experiment with tying the stopper at the top of the coil as shown in the first hitch.
It came about eventually when exploring a way to not have preformed eyes, something similar to the Hitch Hiker attachment method. The cord ends were threaded through the holes then an overhand is tied, middle, left in the picture. After a few versions it occurrred to me just a stopper knot in back was needed.
IMG_0085.jpg

Here's what 85% of my hitch cord collection looks like (with miscellaneous hardware scattered around because it was already sitting there). I still have a few other hitch cords in my backpack, connected to lanyards, mechanical advantage systems, etc. I think I might have a problem...and that problem is that I don't have enough hitch cords! Ignore the three ropes off to the left...obviously not hitch cords, but that's a sneak peak at the balanced rigging plate I use to connect my ropes for videos. Was it worth it to buy all of these hitch cords? Does the Mona Lisa smile? I don't know...does she? =-D

PXL_20230623_074821173~2.jpg

In a very temporary twist of fate, I have resumed my overcomplication of hitch designs to bring you the GRAVEVINE hitch!

Short form:

Long Form:

After this, I'm doing my best to fight my impulsiveness and allowing YouTube to catch up with The Tree House. I just get so proud of myself...I'm like a puppy retrieving a tennis ball for the first time every time I come up with a new hitch design! I just want to share it with all of you! But it has to end at some point! I'll run out of material and then you'll all think I'm a boring loser! haha My true identity will be revealed.:lol:

Last edited:
One final leak of successful hitch tying (I couldn't last a few hours...I'm weak!) for now. Here's a teaser for my latest hitch, which combines my two favorite things....Chemistry and hitch tying (if my girlfriend is reading this, she's my first favorite thing and those two come second haha). To prove this point, I tied the hitch that I have dubbed the KNOTORIOUS CELSIUS hitch around the neck of a volumetric flask. I'm a nerd....I embrace it. You should too. Videos comes soon....Once everything catches up like I promised.
PXL_20230626_132955165~2.jpg

Back