I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@gf beranek Great question! According to my YouTube playlist containing all of my thus far published/publicly available and viewable videos for hitches that I have created/discovered/originated, there are 47 different videos, with each video showing how to tie a completely different hitch. While that is certainly a significant number, we next have to add the number of hitch for which I have made and uploaded a video, but which haven't been published/made public yet and that value amounts to 7 additional hitches. Finally, I have several hitches which are both attractive and promising that I have discovered for which there is currently only photographic records. While I play around endlessly with what works and what doesn't, I will take pictuers of the fronts and backs of any hitches which show promise and, eventually, some of these (after testing) will be made public with a YouTube video being made for all which pass my tests. Currently there are roughly 3 additional hitches which are likely to be released to my channel when I am able to get around to producing content for them.

So, after adding all of those numbers together, I have created/discovered/originated 57 completely novel (as far as I am aware) and completely functional friction hitches using eye to eyes, sewn loops and split tails, beginning back on November 4th, 2022 (end of last year). Without a doubt, though, the vast majority are tied using eye to eye prusik cords AKA hitch cords. This all began as a way to kill time while recovering from a serious surgery. Quickly, with the help of the support and enthusiasm of many of you fellow Tree Housers, it turned into an obsession and, shortly thereafter, I decided that the world needed a YouTube channel dedicated to making videos showing how to tie friction hitches. After running out of popular friction hitches to made videos for, I started making educational content about climbing and, so far, there appears to be no end in sight for creating new, never before seen hitches, but I know that someday I'll start to run out of ways to tie hitches -- I just hope that day comes later than sooner. Thanks for the question! I honestly didn't realize that I had created so many! I can't believe how many there are!

That's a little too fast I think. Pace yourself. Maybe one new video a week max. That gives your subscribers something to look forward to, and keeps some material in reserve for weeks you don't have time, or don't feel like doing anything.

That's a little too fast I think. Pace yourself. Maybe one new video a week max. That gives your subscribers something to look forward to, and keeps some material in reserve for weeks you don't have time, or don't feel like doing anything.
Great advice. Honestly, at first, I posted a new video as soon as I made it and uploaded it. At one point, I was making a new video almost every day because I had nothing else to do. But now I do pace myself as best as I can. I typically will post one long form video and one to two Shorts (less than 60 sec) every week. I have bunch of videos just sitting on my channel that are ready to be published when I am ready. This makes running a channel pretty stress free because I always have an abundance of new content ready to go. But you are absolutely right, I had been going way too quickly. I had never run a channel before and I soon realized "at this rate, I'll run out of content in a year or two and then what?" So now I try to exhibit Zen-like patience and impulse control, with the latter being a major weakness of mine. I tend to find hobbies that I love and then go absolutely crazy, learning everything there is to know, and performing whatever hobby it is until I burn out. I've had more hobbies than most people and while this has transformed me into a master of many, many things, it also results in me losing interest and then moving to the next thing to obsess over. I don't want that to happen with my channel or with my pursuit to discover as many new hitches as possible. I think I've achieved a good balance and, thus far, I've managed to remain in control and the thought of anything related to tree climbing becoming "burnt out" is one that I consider to be absurd. But you never know. The primary concern is running out of content for my channel. It would be a real shame if my channel started to take off hugely (relatively speaking; expectations are realistic) and I ran out of new hitches and new, quality content. All is good at the moment, and I think my schedule is pretty sound. I actually schedule the videos to publish themselves as much as a month in advance, keeping me from impulsively disrupting the schedule.

Check this hitch out everyone! I call it the SIMPLICITY hitch and it is one of the simplest hitches I have ever created! I looks pretty cool, too! I actually came up with another hitch that is ultra simple which I will share with everyone in about a week.

"Short" (aka Short Form) Video:

Long Form Video:

Let me know what your thoughts are if you have any! Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_002002749~3.jpg
    PXL_20230602_002002749~3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
Here is some simple hitch cord art with my Spliced 30" x 10mm EpiCord tied into a Double Coin knot. The best part about this is that it was tied completely by accident while I was messing around with various knotting combinations.

PXL_20230527_050724009~2.jpg

Introducing the SWIFT hitch, so named for it's ability to be swiftly and easily tied. Yet another video as part of my 4 (or more) video length series on more simplified hitch designs,

Short Form Video (under 60 sec):

Long Form Video:

This hitch has a special place in my heart. Here is some news...
I am adding a new section to my posts which are going to be called: NameThatHitchCord/Rope, where I'll identify the hitch cord and rope being used. I wish I had done this sooner. I could have potentially brought a lot of attention (relatively speaking) to hitch cord rope types all across the board! But I guess if anyone actually cared enough, they would ask...and nobody asks, sooooooooooo...meh. Naw, I realize a lot of people prefer to shadow post, and ultimately, I'm doing it for me. I'll probably go back in time and try and update this parameter for previous posts for anyone new who is viewing this thread.

NameThatHitchCord/Rope: It was tied using Armorprus 10mm onto Yale Kernmaster Phantom 11mm.

I'd be very specific naming the rope, cause there can be similar names with a different construction. That's Kernmaster Special Static, Phantom pattern, which has a polyester core, as opposed to Kernmaster which has a nylon core.

edit:
Maybe even add the company name. Rope names seem to have the availability of moving between manufacturers, and the properties can change during the move. Naming it fixes the reference point somewhat, though it can probably still change over time. A practice I disagree with. If something changes, it should be renamed. A different product with the same name adds confusion.

Last edited:
I'd be very specific naming the rope, cause there can be similar names with a different construction. That's Kernmaster Special Static, Phantom pattern, which has a polyester core, as opposed to Kernmaster which has a nylon core.
Thanks for the insight. If you Google the name I used for this rope (Yale Kernmaster Phantom 11mm), this is how most vendors classify it. I also think the "Phantom" aspect of my description definitively separates it from regular Kernmaster as being a subset of that original rope series. I also think knowing that "I want the pink version of this rope that's shown in these videos with that specific pattern" is a useful insight to have as well, versus the original series Kernmaster or the original Yale Kernmaster Phantom pattern in green. If I had removed "Phantom" from the name I used, then it most definitely would be ambiguous. I'm not saying you're wrong. Maybe I don't understand what you're getting at. :)

Regardless of the rest of what I typed, "Phantom" is just a pattern, and patterns come and go. Delete that, and you're left with the singular "Kernmaster". That isn't specific enough to cover all the types of Kernmaster.

@
Regardless of the rest of what I typed, "Phantom" is just a pattern, and patterns come and go. Delete that, and you're left with the singular "Kernmaster". That isn't specific enough to cover all the types of Kernmaster.
Aaaaaah, okay! But doesn't Phantom, by default, only apply to one type of Kernmaster? Or are you saying that companies will recycle patterns to use with various different underlying rope types? I sure hope they don't.

EDIT: I believe Phantom refers to a specific subset of Kernmaster combined with the specific pattern, which creates a new rope. Therefore, Yale Kernmaster Phantom can only refer to two ropes; one which is pink and one which is green, with both ropes being structurally identical.

Last edited:
Phantom could disappear altogether, and they could have only Bifröst, or maybe that disappears also, and they come out with some other pattern, perhaps the Safari Sherrill sells. There's patterns I like more or less, but I buy based on construction. That's how I got Phantom. Bifröst was OOS. The physical properties are more important than the decoration.

On the subject of recycling... Rope names have moved to completely different makers, and properties have changed. I believe the Ivy series of rope had that happen. Makes it harder to know exactly what is being referred to over medium-long periods of time.

edit:
For the sake of accuracy, I need to correct my Safari statement above. I thought it used the polyester core, but it's the standard Kernmaster with the nylon core.

Last edited:
@lxskllr So, in essence, you believe it would behoove me and my viewers if I specify which Kernmaster is being used in my NameThatHitchCord/Rope segment for this particular example? I can't argue with that. You make a fair point.

Can anyone think of a great name for a hitch that is basically a VT, but tied in such a way that it is perfect for MRS/DRT use? So far all I've managed to come up with is "Mono-VT," which is a reference to it having only one leg and the other “leg” is used to form a stopper knot. This would be great for anyone running the old school MRS/DRT setups and it can be tied with the tail of the rope or with a split tail. It works phenomenally and it's a little more compact than an actual VT if you dress and set it well. If nobody has any winning suggestions, I might just name it something random.
ah-MT58gQgM8yzHC0WwQnFpwab89Xuv1HPaFb-V7Lf7aODkrtOgf06rWIZu0jEm0tWYrvF-bQxoUyjL7ixUVsDIRQvCSgoAsq5D1DBqqeX82Ojg3umEJGGBAewRLPz7qSjdObFd0Pv-NVzQ9oyJ9rp0

Try it for yourself! It's an exceptional hitch! I've been looking to find a way to make the VT more accessible with split tail users for a long time and this is my best variant yet! Just be sure to remove any excess slack within the hitch as best as you can. You'll notice that it grabs very readily and it may break better than some of the traditional favorites for this type of setup. The only downside is that it is a slightly longer hitch than the Blake's or Taut Line. However, considering that the system already requires that the split tail extend down from the hitch to the climber, it shouldn't matter that the hitch is only an inch or so longer. Am I being clear? Basically, in a system where there is a lengthy rope extension going between the climber and the hitch, the fact that the hitch I'm proposing people use is a little longer should mean nothing so long as it responds just as well or better than the shorter, more popular hitches already being used. Hell, this could be used with a rope wrench with the other tail end a leg instead of a stopper. But thn a regular VT would be preferable since it would balance leg forces.

Last edited:
Where's @Burnham at? Do you have any invaluable input? I would be forever grateful for a soundbite! Even if it's constructive criticism.

Much like Elon Musk on Mars, I'm trying to terraform and populate my thread with valuable viewers! I'm looking at you, too, @Bermy! Anything to say? I would be delighted to have your input.

And let's not forget @stig or @Marc-Antoine or @greengreer or anyone else who once offered me greatly appreciated insights and feedback during my earlier stages of this thread! I'm trying to revitalize. While you may have lost interest in posting on my thread, I haven't lost interest in gaining your input!

@gf beranek and @lxskllr and @Brocky have been steadfast sources of thoughtful contributions and support!

No obligation! I'm just stoking the proverbial fire, hoping to reignite the discussion!

Last edited:
I'm glad you have this thing to focus on, to enjoy, and to stimulate your brain. But with no offence intended, I find it all a bit over the top for myself.

I have several hitches that I've used to good effect in several applications for a long time. I don't need a new hitch in my now little used toolbox, being retired from the game and just taking care of my small acreage and the odd favor for a friend.

So I basically don't do anything beyond quickly scanning your photos anymore. And that is surely not worthy of input, invaluable or otherwise ;).

Carry on, please! Don't let my lack of enthusiasm slow you down one iota.

I'm glad you have this thing to focus on, to enjoy, and to stimulate your brain. But with no offence intended, I find it all a bit over the top for myself.

I have several hitches that I've used to good effect in several applications for a long time. I don't need a new hitch in my now little used toolbox, being retired from the game and just taking care of my small acreage and the odd favor for a friend.

So I basically don't do anything beyond quickly scanning your photos anymore. And that is surely not worthy of input, invaluable or otherwise ;).

Carry on, please! Don't let my lack of enthusiasm slow you down one iota.
I am hardly deterred! I appreciate your honest response and I appreciate that you took the time to share your opinion at all. Let's face it: The vast majority of people have no need for any of the hitches I'm creating. But I have a personal goal of developing/originating as many hitches that "could have been" as I possibly can. If you aren't excited about it, that's okay. I'm simply looking to poll many of my early influencers on their current perspectives about what I'm doing, so as to add value to this thread. Thanks again! Sometimes I won't always hear what I want to hear and being comfortable with that willl make me stronger and more aware.

I too am impressed by your dogged attention to detail! Finding something in the industry that really captures your interest to work on, to try new things, suggest changes and possible improvements, that's how we all end up with cool new stuff.
I'm suffering from a bit of a lack of 'a round tuit (too it)'
I get on the job, tie what works and get on with it. So I'm sorry to say as much as I love reading your posts, I haven't actually tried any of the new hitches.
There were a couple I though, hmmm I should give that a go, however they are now way back in the pages and that combined with my missing around tuit, sorry I confess to not having actually tried them!
Keep at it mate !

@Bermy That was a really thoughtful post. Thank you. Even thought you have never tried any of my hitches, just knowing that you take the time to follow along with my posts is inspirational enough! I can't compete with jobsite conveniences like that VT or the DIstel, which are widely taught and have many decades worth of anecdotal testing behind them.

Last edited:
Here it is, ladies and gentleman!

Introducing the ECSTASY hitch. This is the latest in my indefinitely long series of easy to tie, easy to understand friction hitches which which don't require lengthy hitch cords. Anyone who likes simple friction hitches will adore this one! It also looks way cooler than anything most everyone uses today! You can't argue with that! It's partly called the Ecstasy hitch because running it up an access line, or any line for that matter, is PURE BLISS. It grabs readily and reliably!

Share your thoughts, feelings, and experiences if you have any!

Don't hate, appreicate! =-D

Anyways, here is the Short video:

Long Form Video:

Last edited:
Back