I (Think/Hope) I Developed A New Hitch Design

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is that hitch that I mentioned creating about a week ago, but that I said I wanted to test first before sharing it. I was able to test it two days ago, so here it is...the IDYLLIC hitch. You'll notice in the photos that I've shown two different ways it can be tied in the same chirality by creating however many wraps is needed by the user, then crossing one leg over the other like one would at the very start of a VT, and then creating the hitch's signature knotting with by forming the crossed loop with either the resulting right leg (top) or with the resulting left leg (bottom).

A front and back image is shown for both options I found that tying it wiht the loop on the resulting left leg produced a slightly more secure and orderly hitch. This hitch performed very well and I would probably give it a rating of 8.9!

I have also come up with a couple of other hitch designs that I'll share over the next week or so!

Attachments

• PXL_20230516_035528671~3.jpg
    PXL_20230516_035528671~3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230516_035443537~2.jpg
    PXL_20230516_035443537~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
@stig Thanks for the positive vibes! That would make all of this effort completely worth it if I had a hitch named after me or if there were to be widespread adoption of one of my hitches. =-D

Here we have the EUPHORIC hitch and its two iterations. The top version is the first iteration (#1) and the lower is the second (#2).

These hitches were tied with the latest additions to my collection, the Armorprus 10mm and 8mm hitch cords. They are a good balance of strength and suppleness. Has anyone one here ever used them?

Here are the front and back of both hitches...

Lemme know what you think!

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_193628689.jpg
    PXL_20230520_193628689.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230520_193733181.jpg
    PXL_20230520_193733181.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
Here is the final edition of my hitch cord review/specs breakdown. I finally published it a few minutes ago after adding the 8mm and 10mm Ocean by Teufelberger and the 8mm and 10mm Armorprus by Donaghys. If you already watched it the first time I posted it, don't worry, you aren't going to miss much if you skip watching this final edition. I'm just posting this up onto my thread because the links for the previous two postings of the video will no longer work and someone reading along may want to watch it. That's all! Thanks!

Nice vid. Thanks.

I really love the line control that a friction hitch provides.

Even half inch manila rope set against itself with a taught line hitch. the friction during a descent can be dialed in precisely by how you set the knot first, and second how you squeeze it and allow tension from the bridge to bear on the knot during the descent. Old school, but still sweet.

Tubb's brand, arborist grade 3 strand half inch twisted manila rope. It would last a good climber 6 months to a year. Depending on how much you climbed.

Synthetics started coming in use in the early1970s. Changed everything.

Might be fun to buy a short length of manila and do an old school climb on it. <50¢/ft

@gf beranek Thank you! Also, great insights as always. I'd be curious to see how that three strand rope performs. I can't imagine what life would be like without polyester and nylon and aramid fibers.

@lxskllr You're way ahead of me. That's an awesome idea. It would make for unique content as well. I've never seen anyone else do something like that. I'd need enough for an MRS setup and then I could just cut maybe six feet off of the end to make a split tail. Fifty feet would probably be plenty. Definitely considering doing this. Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe give me a new appreciation for the cordage we have now! =-D

When the synthetics come on the scene the first obvious problem was fusing / melting, getting locked up on the line. WTF?

Understand, in the spirit of competition we use to race to the ground. Smoking the ropes, quite literally, which wasn't a problem with manila.

So, to solve that problem I started using a manila tail to from the hitch against the synthetic. Problem solved!

Another thing is we fashioned the friction hitch using the tail end of the rope itself, which progressively shortened a manila rope about 3 to 4 feet every time we wore out the hitch. Get pretty thin (scary)

If you climbed a lot, we climbed everyday, a manila rope would wear faster on the snap end. It would get smaller in diameter. The tail end would remain fat. So periodically we had to reverse the rope to even the wear on it.

Little things. lots of little things with manila rope.

@gf beranek Wonderful history, sir! You are truly an invaluable resource. I have admittedly given very little thought to how arborists climbed in the days of old. I am now gleefully enlightened! It makes financial sense to simply use the tail of one’s climbing line for a hitch. What would I do with my free time if my only choice for a hitch cord were a three strand, manila rope! I’m living in the wrong times! People would have appreciated my hitches much more half a century ago! Even 25 years ago! Alas! I shall overcome!

Here we have what I have dubbed the TREBLE hitch since its appearance resembles the traditional symbol for a treble clef. If you don’t see the resemblance, it’s okay, it just means you aren’t an artist and have no vision. I’m just kidding; what it means is that I’m probably out of my mind.

Anyways, enough about me, let’s talk about me. I spent a good amount of time creating this hitch. I even tied it in my “non-dominant chirality” (I just made that term up; pretty good, right?). In other words, the hitch's orientation is opposite to what I prefer, or favor, which makes it akin to a handicap in golf (sort of). A better way to put it would be to liken it to sports such as skiing or snowboarding or skateboarding where competitors have a dominant orientation and, whenever they start or land a trick in the non-dominant orientation, they earn extra points because it is more difficult to do. At the most basic level, it’s a lot like someone who is right handed, and who isn’t ambidextrous, writing legibly with their left hand. Compared to writing the same thing with their right hand, that isn’t easy.

You’re all intelligent individuals. I’m sure you understand what I’m getting at. Basically I’m low key hyping up my hitch by trying to sell you the idea that it was harder to do in the chirality that I tie far less. Before you tell me that it isn’t harder, imagine trying to do your everyday activities from a mirrored perspective. It would be pretty confusing at first to drive to the store looking at a reflection of the road ahead of you. Tying a hitch in this manner isn’t any less disorienting at first.

Okay, I think I’ve pretty much beat this metaphorical horse to death. This hitch is quite awesome. Look for yourself. It’s not as complex as it appears either. Feedback is strongly welcomed. Actually, scratch that; feedback is required! Heh heh

Oh, the final thing I wanted to show everyone is how I cleverly arranged all of my non-sewn eye hitch cords in a row by threading them onto a strand of polyester twine and then I was able to easily apply super glue to the ends of each hitch cord and then let them cure overnight. Brilliant, I know. No need for flattery (ugh, obviously I'm joking around. You never know how people will interpret your sense of humor on the interwebs). =-D

Attachments

• PXL_20230522_090937641~2.jpg
    PXL_20230522_090937641~2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230523_041406817.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230523_041406817.MP~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230523_041342873~2.jpg
    PXL_20230523_041342873~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Why is Sterling RIT (my favorite hitch cord) over $8/foot at Treestuff, twice the amount of their second most expensive hitchcord, when I just got it for $2.32/foot at Wesspur?

Wesspur also has the deep blue colored 9.3mm Epicord right now as you see in my previous post's images.

Not an advertisement. Just wondering what's going on with Treestuff. Why the egregious price hike on such an epic cord (not to be confused with EpiCord! Ha, look, I made a joke!).

Last edited:
The Sherrill sites have weird pricing on rope. I think their stuff is basically drop shipped for odd lengths, and they only keep basic stock of precut lengths. I believe wesspur has reels on site, and cuts the length as needed. How that influences pricing between them, I don't know, but it is a difference.

The Sherrill sites have weird pricing on rope. I think their stuff is basically drop shipped for odd lengths, and they only keep basic stock of precut lengths. I believe wesspur has reels on site, and cuts the length as needed. How that influences pricing between them, I don't know, but it is a difference.
When my made up boss at the newspaper I don't actually work for asks me who my reference is for this "story-breaking" scoop, would you prefer to remain anonymous or can I cite your TreeHouse forum handle? =-P

Seriously, though, that's great intel. I can't quite figure out how that would affect pricing. Hey! Here's an idea! I'm going to ask them...because I can and this is America, goddamnit! I'll let everyone know as soon as they elucidate me...or tell me to f*ck off in a way that oozes with customer courtesy. One of those two will happen. I'm certain of it.

Also, I believe Sherrill was bought by TreeStuff, so technically it's the "TreeStuff sites."

Last edited:
Sherrill, TS, Bishops, and Sterling Ropes are all owned by the same firm.
Possibly they don’t want to have to deal with rope by the foot. They seem to only carry top selling items anymore, I don’t visit their arborists sites anymore.

I got a response back from TreeStuff (yes, I actually asked them about the price discrepancy) and they sidestepped the actual question and offered to charge me the exact same as Wesspur (after telling them they had already lost the sale to Wesspur) in an effort to honor TreeStuff's "price match guarantee." I'm not sure what the benefit would be to that in this situation except the hassle of having to place my order by phone versus online since both vendors offer nearly identical shipping options, prices, and both offer free shipping over $100 (actually, TreeStuff is free shipping over $99, so there's a dollar saved). Since when does TreeStuff have a price match guarantee? That might actually come in handy some day. I was hoping they would actually explain why they charge so much for the RIT cord, but I was honestly expecting some deflection anyhow. Meh, whatever. I'll just have to hire a private investigator instead! Or not. Probably not heh heh

Last edited:
@gf beranek Wonderful history, sir! You are truly an invaluable resource. I have admittedly given very little thought to how arborists climbed in the days of old. I am now gleefully enlightened! It makes financial sense to simply use the tail of one’s climbing line for a hitch. What would I do with my free time if my only choice for a hitch cord were a three strand, manila rope! I’m living in the wrong times! People would have appreciated my hitches much more half a century ago! Even 25 years ago! Alas! I shall overcome!

Here we have what I have dubbed the TREBLE hitch since its appearance resembles the traditional symbol for a treble clef. If you don’t see the resemblance, it’s okay, it just means you aren’t an artist and have no vision. I’m just kidding; what it means is that I’m probably out of my mind.

Anyways, enough about me, let’s talk about me. I spend a good amount of time creating this hitch. I even tied it in my “non-dominant chirality” (I just made that term up; pretty good, right?). In other words, the hitches orientation is opposite to what I prefer, or favor, which makes it akin to a handicap in golf (sort of). A better way to put it would be to liken it to sports such as skiing or snowboarding or skateboarding where competitors have a dominant orientation and, whenever they start or land a trick in the non-dominant orientation, they earn extra points because it is more difficult to do. At the most basic level, it’s a lot like someone who is right handed, and who isn’t ambidextrous, writing legibly with their left hand. Compared to writing the same thing with their right hand, that isn’t easy.

You’re all intelligent individuals. I’m sure you understand what I’m getting at. Basically I’m low key hyping up my hitch by trying to sell you the idea that it was harder to do in the chirality that I tied far less. Before you tell me that it isn’t harder, imagine trying to do your everyday activities from a mirrored perspective. It would be pretty confusing at first to drive to the store looking at a reflection of the road ahead of you. Tying a hitch isn’t any less disorienting at first.

Okay, I think I’ve pretty much beat this metaphorical horse to death. This hitch is quite awesome. Look for yourself. It’s not as complex as it appears either. Feedback is strongly welcome. Actually, scratch that; feedback is required! Heh heh

Oh, the final thing I wanted to show everyone is how I cleverly arranged all of my non-sewn eye hitch cords in a row by threading them onto a strand of polyester twine and then I was able to easily apply super glue to the ends of each hitch cord and then let them cure overnight. Brilliant, I know. No need for flattery (ugh, obviously I'm joking around. You never know how people will interpret your sense of humor on the interwebs). =-D
I see the Treble clef! I don't know if that clears any doubts about your sanity but I see it! ;) Looks pretty cool actually.

Here we have the CONSTRUCT (noun form) hitch! It isn't as complex as it looks and it functions quite well. I only did some preliminary testing as it has been 100 degrees F or more during the day this entire week and there is no sign of it letting up; in fact it will likely get hotter for quite some time. This hutch isn't as practical as many others that I've come up with, however, my goal is to create as many hitches as I can with no limitations. As long as it functions and serves its purpose, it will be listed here. Thoughts, anyone?

Attachments

• PXL_20230526_090321314~2.jpg
    PXL_20230526_090321314~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230526_090429611~3.jpg
    PXL_20230526_090429611~3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230526_090338959~3.jpg
    PXL_20230526_090338959~3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20230526_090408602~2.jpg
    PXL_20230526_090408602~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
I don't know. If you enjoy it, why not? Further justification isn't needed. If you want a path to some kind of end. it may become unmanageable. As a kid, I collected beercans. I ended up with ZOMG!! beercans all over the place. That happens with a lot of generalized collections. To keep things manageable, it's better to specialize; beercans from a single city/state/brewery, hotwheels cars of a specific model or era, knives of a particular era or purpose...

There's virtually limitless ways to bend a rope. That's what makes rope cool, but unlike pokémon, I don't think anyone can catch them all.

There's virtually limitless ways to bend a rope. That's what makes rope cool, but unlike pokémon, I don't think anyone can catch them all.

That was cleverly written. Well played. It was one of those moments where I read something and it's like the "light" version of being blown away. Less adrenaline and less calories, but same great taste! heh heh

But you're absolutely correct. I don't have to explain myself, but over explaining is one of my specialties and I just tend to do a lot of it. I just wanted everyone to know my parameters for what determines whether or not a hitch will be posted on here. Because anyone can make a "hitch," but if it doesn't actually work at least averagely well, then I don't consider it one. Otherwise I'd be posting five of these things every day and everyone would be like, "yeah, okay, this is getting lame" and then I would ruin my opportunity to make valued hitches and I'd have to start collecting soap or sporks or potpourri or something mundane like that. Hell, I might have to start...couponing! *shudders*

It always seems as if, just when I think I'm running out of ways to tie hitches, I discover a new one.

Here is the video showing how to tie the IDYLLIC hitch...

Coming as soon as tomorrow is a video showing how to tie the ELEMENT hitch, a hitch that hasn't been shown on here yet...

Howdy, howdy, hooooowwwwwdy doody, y'aaaaaaaaaaall!

What that too much? Meh, probably, but I'll stick with it because...I'm too lazy to delete it.

Has anyone here ever used or heard of the SPEAR KNOT? It is a member of the Bowline family and I explain to the viewer exactly why this is in my video. I also will show you how to tie it! It is a slipped bowline variant to be more precise. I like it a lot. You should check it out. Actually, scratch the "should," just check it out. Do it. You won't!

As usual, premiering on the Tree House first before being published on YouTube, give it a look-see!

Here are some of my latest YouTube "Shorts," which are videos that are 60 seconds or less in length, showing how to tie various hitches. Only one of them as already been published to YouTube (my Short for the Rolling hitch, wich received a fair amount of attention with nearly 4K views and 150+ likes in only 24 hours).

ROLLING Hitch "Short"

SPEAR Knot "Short"

YOUNG #2 Hitch "Short"

TREBLE Hitch "Short"

If you enjoy any of these quick, 60-second instructional videos, please don't hesitate to show your support by either "liking" the video(s) and/or by subscribing to my channel! Feel free to leave comments or questions as well, and constructive criticism is always welcome!

Thank you to everyone who has supported me and my journey with creating various knots; especially hitches! I fully appreciate anyone who even takes the time to stay updated with my posts on this forum; there is nothing wrong with shadow support because you increase view counts. Having said that, I would encourage anyone reading this to feel more than free to participate in any fashion. If you have nothing to say on this forum, perhaps you might have more to say in the comments section of my channel where I post way more content than on here (because I only mostly limit my posts here to hitch related content). Be sure to check out my playlists where I've organized my videos by category.

You can find my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQpij2XQOwqcqH8gTic-GCg

Finally, I have created an official contact email address for myself and my channel for anyone who has questions or concerns that are too serious or large for the comments section or perhaps for people who prefer more discrete communication. Also, talking with me through email allows you to send and receive photos and other media, which is something that you cannot do in comments on YouTube. Since adding my contact info to YouTube (two weeks ago), I have already received two requests for consults regarding knots and hitches for specialized projects. So you wouldn't be the first to approach me off of YouTube. The proverbial email seal has already been broken!

Here is my contact email: knotorious.contact@gmail.com

That about does it! Thanks everyone for your time and enthusiasm and support and inspiration! This project of mine would be utterly pointless without people to share it with!

Last edited:
The Spear is pretty nifty. That's something I'll probably use in the future. I like slippery knots that release easily.

I don't watch much video, and I particularly dislike google/youtube, so I never log in. My life is virtually googlefree aside from a legacy email account. All of which is to say, I don't like/comment/or do anything else on the youtube platform, but your videos are cool. I'm happy you're finding an audience for them.

Introducing one of my latest hitch creations/originations/discoveries, the FELICITOUS hitch!

felicitous: adjective - well chosen or suited to the circumstance(s).

Here is my short form video, or "Short," for this hitch (video is 60 seconds or less in length)...

Here is my long form video for this hitch...

Feedback, as always, is heavily encouraged! Or simply "like" this post or one or both of the videos if you think they are worth your appreciation!

Me, personally? I think this is one of the much better hitches I've ever created because it is simple AND because it can be used easily with a Hitch Hiker setup thanks to how it is tied. It also looks cool as f\/ck and very responsive on the Rope Wrench!

This has been posted to the Tree House first! =-D

Back