Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

I forgot my old password, and somehow while getting a new password I also got a new handle/account? I didn't even realize it until you welcomed me to the forum. The wonders of the interweb!

Well lordy.

Hey, all TreeHousers!!!

When you forget your password, doesn't the forum software prompt you to get a reminder? Or a reset? ANYTHING?

It's supposed to!

I was just ordered some saw bars at TS. While looking thru the info re which saws the bars fit, I noticed there was a Husky 3120 and then "Jungle 3120"- that sounds like a fun saw! Anyone know anything about the Jungle saw? Maybe its has better cooling ability. Or maybe its easier to use while wearing flip flops/bare feet than other saws.;)

Only thing I remember about jungle 3120 was lighter clutch and tube muffler. Look at IPL's and compare to see.
I aint into that anymore so wont waste my time now days to check.

Sometimes you just need a bigger saw...

P1300094.jpg
My 372-24" will take over what my main saw 562-20" won't do. My 395-32" has been collecting dust in storage lately along with my two 066s and 090AV. I always wanted to own a 3120 though, saw was first introduced in 1989 and I don't think Husqvarna will ever bother to replace it. They designed it the right way right from the start and never had to improve it.
We have 2)372s (24" bars) and one 395 (36" bar). The 372s get most of the use for bucking and general large limb drops close to the ground. The 395 gets trotted out for felling larger trees and flush cuts. But we do encounter trees about once a month when for safety or expediency, more power and a larger bar would be desirable. That's why we do have a 3120 on our acquisition list. This hundred-year-old silver maple we took out last Thursday had a 5 foot by 8 foot diameter trunk! So yes, we probably would only be trotting the 3120 out once a month (perhaps not even carrying it daily in our truck) -- but it would be a worthwhile addition to our arsenal.

I never thought I'd ever need a large saw. Milling jobs sure changed that. I got a 088 coming to me this week. :)

Nice job Forestkeepers!

Our local saw shop has a 3120 that they rebuilt (main bearings & carb). It sounds as if the previous owner only used it occasionally so it is "as good as new." If we can pick it up for an even $1000 or just over, we're going to go for it without hesitation! Last week we had that 5'x8' silver maple, a few weeks back we had a 4'+ silver maple and 40" diameter mulberry, the month before we had twin Siberian Elms that were 5' diameter... We seem to pick up all the difficult removals that others won't touch (skilled climbing required, tricky rigging, and just plain nasty huge trees!) So a big saw is going to be a good fit for us, but for sure it will only be useful twice a month or so.

Reason #6 for a 3120XP

P1300266.jpg
Today's removal was a 6' diameter Silver Maple, yet another use case for a 3120 where the 395 felt very much "David" to our "Goliath." The 395 was up to the task, but just barely and it was slow going on the notch, very slow going on the back cut, the flush cut, and then we wound up cutting the main trunk in half to be able to load it on the log truck with our grapple.

How big of a bar are you running on the 395?

I've always noticed a drop in cut rate as bar length increases regardless of powerhead size.

Nice!

I was going to go husky for price, the front adjustment for the bar was a big put off for milling. I lucked into a 088 from the same guy who sold me my 066. I guess I still identify as a Stihlgender.

yes the 3120 is awesome! mine is burned up right now. thanks for putting it on my mind again! Glad my 395xp runs my 42" bar good for now. I haven't needed that beast of a bar for a long while though.

Ya, it's not like it's an excessively long bar. However, the 395's cutting a bit crooked, even while sharp. But no matter how you slice it, that was a BEAST of a tree.

Back