Husqvarna 3120XP vs. 395XP vs. Sithl 660-880

Lol. Nails have been around a long time and are so often in the bottom "reachable" sections of trees I sometimes cringe when carving in.

Sucks messing up chain. Espescially on the big ones

A friend and his dad found an entire horse hitching ring and eyelagbolt well inside a black walnut tree they fell in Oregon. This was 30 years agoand it was totally grown over so they couldn't see any signs of anything being there before they made the cut.
Of course they had a new 404 chain, 36" on his dad's McCollogh. . But, that's better than finding it with his band mill.

Thanks to past generations of bowhunters with homemade stands, nail level can be 20' up.......

Ed
As a matter of fact my sawyer discovered iron about 15-20 foot up in an ash log I took from the center of my woods .Couple 16 penny nails which cost me the price of a Wood Mizer blade .

Now that isn't the half of it ,he didn't find them all .Somehow I missed them by a hair with both a carbide table saw blade plus my planer when I used a piece of the lumber .It only showed through when I finish sanded it .Talk about lucky .

Bump.

I'm debating on a husky 395 or bigger for my mill. Air filter on my 066 sucks, I need to carry a few cans of carb cleaner when milling. :(

I've got a hundred tanks through my 2014 395. I'd take a picture of the air filter for you, but any picture of a brand new filter would look about the same.

I've had my 395 for about 10 years, not sure. Long enough to have replaced the gas tank after it started leaking on me. I think I've cleaned the air filter about a dozen times, if that. It never gets dirty.

Working on a loggers 395 and 3120. Owned 3120 066 660. IMO the 395 with the HD air filter set up is the best filter set up stock for stock used.

The MS 661 has the same prefiltering system as the Huskies.
That said, I wouldn't mill with less than a MS 880 or the Husky equivalent.

Decent but not as good as on the 441.

Hell of a good saw for medium size hardwood falling.
With an 18" bar and a 8 hole sprocket, she really rips.

Who can talk to me about the differences between these saws.

Husky 3120xp
118 cc
8.4 hp
23 lbs

Husky 395xp
94 cc
7.1 hp
17.5 lbs

Stihl 880
121 cc
8.6 hp
22.3 lbs

Stihl 660
91 cc
7 hp
16.5 lbs

It is worth stepping up to a 3120XP/880 from the 395XP/660 tier? Whats the real difference between the 660/385xp tier and the 880/3120?

I currently run a 460 as my biggest saw (75cc, 6 hp, 14.5 lbs) and it does everything I want it to. Looking at saving for a bigger saw a while down the road and want to get some opinions.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/husqvarna-proffesional-chainsaws/
Hey Nick. I run both a 395xp and a 3120 almost daily, so I will give you my 2 cents. The 395 is a truly wonderful saw, and although it will run a 42 inch bar, it does better with 36 inch. The 3120 will make anything from a 36 inch to a 60 inch bar sing, and is a real beast when dialed in. Simply the best big saw I have ever had the pleasure of running. I run a 42, 48, and a 60 inch bar on the 3120 depending on the trees I’m working with, and use it for my bigger falling needs and when chunking down bigger wood. Sure the 3120 weighs a little more, but it throws chips like a mofo, and honestly it will eat a 395 for lunch. You can be confident that the 3120 will handle anything you are ever gonna throw at it. Which ever big saw you choose, make sure and get a full wrap handle on it. You will thank me later.

Hey Nick. I run both a 395xp and a 3120 almost daily, so I will give you my 2 cents. The 395 is a truly wonderful saw, and although it will run a 42 inch bar, it does better with 36 inch. The 3120 will make anything from a 36 inch to a 60 inch bar sing, and is a real beast when dialed in. Simply the best big saw I have ever had the pleasure of running. I run a 42, 48, and a 60 inch bar on the 3120 depending on the trees I?m working with, and use it for my bigger falling needs and when chunking down bigger wood. Sure the 3120 weighs a little more, but it throws chips like a mofo, and honestly it will eat a 395 for lunch. You can be confident that the 3120 will handle anything you are ever gonna throw at it. Which ever big saw you choose, make sure and get a full wrap handle on it. You will thank me later.

Sounds like the same thing my logger friend was saying to me. I was working on his 3120 and I ask him why he was in a hurry for it back when he had like 3 395 and 2 394.

He said when he was using the 44" there was a huge difference. Then he got a new 60" too. So was glad to get it fixed and back in his hands.

I did suggest trying a different air filter on his 3120 though. That one on it was letting way to much by.
So now we wait and see how the different air filter works out.

h3120xxp60.jpg

Back