395xp screw

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Shot in the dark……

Opened the air filter compartment and found this screw to be floating around in there. There’s no visible place for it but I haven’t torn the saw apart yet. It happened after milling a few slabs although she’s milled many times before without issue.

I’m aware this model sometimes looses screws due to vibration. Maybe (probably not but it’s a thought) I’ll Locktite all of them.

Attachments

• IMG_5113.jpeg
    IMG_5113.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Air filter clamp bolt? Not many options under the "hood".
No. I wish. The clamp bolt is very dainty. I certainly appreciate your efforts, Dave. I know you are a 395 fan as well and was kinda hoping this would be a common issue. With my luck, it probably a one off scenario.

Shot in the dark……

Opened the air filter compartment and found this screw to be floating around in there. There’s no visible place for it but I haven’t torn the saw apart yet. It happened after milling a few slabs although she’s milled many times before without issue.

I’m aware this model sometimes looses screws due to vibration. Maybe (probably not but it’s a thought) I’ll Locktite all of them.
It looks like one of the bolts for the plastic carburetor intake that the air filter attaches to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin, it was identical to the plastic carb intake screw but fastened the ground wire for the cut off switch. Now I know why the switch hasn’t worked for a few weeks! Funny thing is - it’s stripped. Must have been like that from the factory. Put lots of Locktite on it and we’ll see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_5127.jpeg
    IMG_5127.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
Those top cover screws tend to loosen without loctite, then vibration wallers out the hole. When it's that bad, I drill out the hole, JB Weld a brass insert, and loctite the screw this time.

Austin, it was identical to the plastic carb intake screw but fastened the ground wire for the cut off switch. Now I know why the switch hasn’t worked for a few weeks! Funny thing is - it’s stripped. Must have been like that from the factory. Put lots of Locktite on it and we’ll see how it goes.
I save leftover/extra screws of all brands and sizes from chainsaws. For a situation like that sometimes I can find a screw either slightly larger or coarser thread pitch that will bite in the hole to replace the stripped out screw.

I think there’s room to use a little bit longer bolt. Might help you grab some new threads. Make sure it doesn’t stick down through the bottom of the case and ride on the gas tank.

Back