Husqvarna 395xp fuel line

Iceharvester

Treehouser
New to the forum but I've gotten a lot information from here! Anyway in Wisconsin we have sturgeon spearing and the standard equipment for cutting holes is a 395 with a 42" bar, a screw greaser and a chain sharpened like knife blades with no rakers. The big talk is these saws are going away. I bought a brand new one and after about 5 minutes wide open it would quit. Same deal with 2 of my friends brand new saws. The fix so far is just pull the fuel line out of the tank, pop the filter off, cut 3 inches off the line, replace the filter and you're good to go. The local dealer says this is a problem with the new 395s. My quick fix seems to be working for now but these saws live a pretty pampered life riding in the cab of a pickup, cutting ice for 10 minutes then returning to the safety of the heated cab. We don't have any problems with "older" saws and even the 394s still run great. Just wondering if anyone noticed anything weird with the new powerheads.

So the line is too long causing the fuel filter to get stuck in a place where it doesn't get fuel? I'll have to check mine, it's relatively new.

Yank out the spiral hoses and put a straight line in instead. I don't use the spiral hoses.
A straight one is 15cm shorter and positioned better in tank.
Reset carb and off you go.
Carbs not reset at delivery service will not work ok.

They haven't made any the past years, as far as I know and I doubt they make any more.

Last edited:
We have 2 brand new 395's, and have not had either die in the cut.
Also never had that issue with the 394.
If they do, now I know where to look.
Thanks for the heads up, Iceharvester and Magnus.

Most are probably never run in a ice cutting position for very long when cutting wood, so it could be an unforseen problem. Echo is bad about oil pickups.

Most are probably never run in a ice cutting position for very long when cutting wood, so it could be an unforseen problem. Echo is bad about oil pickups.
Unless you try cut the Ice from bottom up, it should not be any different.
Bar down is a common position in cutting wood as well. Its first thing in each cut on stem to reduce diameter.
Stihl 026 had some issues with this when fuel level in tank was low.
A few other too but have not seen this the past 15 years on saws. Rather the opposite that hose is way too long so pump has a harder time pull fuel.

I have 10 or so Echo's and wrench a bit on others from time to time.
Run 4000 series quite a bit... Haven't noticed bad oiler picups.
What model is this?

I've seen a lot of Echos either don't have pick ups that can move around freely, or they can't reach certain places. The 590/620 have a really long line that permanantly holds the filter on the front bar clutch side. The 2511t's filter can't reach a large pocket near the cap because the flywheel sticks in the way along with the cap retainer and other things keeping it from reaching oil on the flywheel side. The 303t has a very short line that doesn't flex much. I'm sure there are other bad ones. Husqvarna seems the best at oil pickup. You won't notice oil problems as fast as gas problems of course.

Husqvarna has a lot of saws in different models and brands without oil line to pickup/filter.

If you put two straight fuel lines together you get same distance as a curly line. I don't use them for this reason.
The idea of curly line is that it is holding filter in fuel off the bottom at all times. I don't see it being on bottom as a problem.

Back