Hunting 2021

They'd only have some 15 million volunteers, is my guess.

Like when the seal population starts bothering the coastal fishermen here, and they start talking about eliminating some.
All 176000 hunters of Denmark sign up, and before the first shot is fired, it goes like usual and seal pest wipes 90% of the population out.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bison burgers are good! We can buy ground bison here locally; I think it comes from Colorado. I'm guessing they're farm raised?

IME, farm raised bison is pretty good table fare....free range, well, I think it tastes like shit, more specifically Sagebrush. Not a lot of good eating for a bison that just wanders around the praire.

Ed

Turned out my guess of 15 million was a bit on the high side.
45040 people tried out for a place among the 12 volunteers.

Oh i bet 15 million plus would have loved to, but knew better and didn't apply. Bison is tasty...

One does not just go out and shoot bison.
Takes a large budget, a large caliber fire arm, and a back up large caliber gun and a guide with a large caliber gun to back your ass up.
Then there is a large enough vehicle to haul off the bison. Some one to process it. Maybe a taxidermy to deal with a mount. Tanner for the hide. Takes money. Maybe not as much as a safari hunt, but substantial. That eliminates a lot of hunters off the top.

My friend always shot his Bison on the Lower Brule indian reservation in SD. Cost depended on the size of the animal you wanted, he always got a medium size bull. Weapon of choice was a .338 win mag.
The guide and my friend would field dress it, then winch it onto a roll-back car hauler for transport to the meat locker.
The Bison are free range on 20,000 acres, bit of a challenge to locate and stalk within range.

Ed

Brother in law got his with a 7mm. Bull almost got him though. Took him three shots after it charged following the first. I laughed when he told me. His name is Richard, I just call him Dick. But hey, my sister loves him. Always has to one up you.
My reply was "wow Dick, thats cool. Kinda sounds like you were not only lucky, you brought the wrong gun for the task ". Chuckle. Im such an ass sometimes. But, it's Dick. And he was beating his chest.

I should elaborate that he is tremendously proud of that fire arm and the money he spent on it. If the bull charged and was close enough to be right up close by the third shot to have my sister worry that much they were goners, the first shot should have been better placed for whatever round he put through it if he even hit it.

Because buffalo is bigger than any of the game animals listed in that review. Neither would be the best choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Shot placement. I like the long range ballistics of the 7mm Rem Mag. But I've never shot a bison. One of my employees routinely kills deer with a .22LR rifle. Almost always with one shot. YMMV

You are correct, though. I'd want something that packs a bigger punch.

Where should you hit a deer with 22 LR to kill it with one shot?

Back