Help urban lumber!

Cool, Nick...I posted that link on Facebook. My son-in-law-to-be is a wood crafter with mad skills (like Jay)...he loves the idea. I hope it takes off all over the country. I would love to see more wood salvaged.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the gist: I drop a tree, leave it in the yard, dude come picks it up and takes it to his shop to mill it or he slabs it on site if it can't be moved.

And he does it for free if he gets to keep the wood!

love
nick

I was looking into launching an identical venture with a partner but we found too many potential pitfalls with our set up- mainly concerned with burning time on trying to mill unsuitable/contaminated logs and the seasoning process for air dried hardwood.

It makes a lot of sense to use local woods, using wood industries in days of old always developed where there was a local source of material. What usable hardwoods have you got down there in S. California, Nick? Their website isn't completed to show. I use a lot of my local Chestnut, and not just the price factor, something is endearing about using a material that grows in your own local.

Sounds great. I've firewooded a lot of Black Walnut and quite a few Black Acacia. One BA log I was told after the fact would be worth $2000 to the right person.

Come and pick it up!

I've slabbed and canted alot of hardwood over the years. It's kept me in coffee/fishing money over the years but not much more. Had a buddy call from eastern Oregon and offer to build me a $3500 table for a buncha logs the other day. "Ok, let's talk!"

Nick, I can only remember one time, where I have "let Wood go to the dump".

I got plenty of woodturners, small mill operators and power plants that will take anything we cut outside the forests.

:D
image.jpg

Seriously though, I tried to utilize what I can. Sold a black walnut tree for 3G once. The main trunk and any sizeable branch wood. That was picked up in my yard and then the guy took it and had it custom milled from there. My uncle had lined up the buyer who also bought some maple and birch logs from me too at different times. It worked out great on the black walnut deal as it was late in the year so I flipped my uncle a g-note on the deal and called it merry Christmas.

If only to have good power-generation options for crap wood.

If there were more outdoor wood burners, it would be easier.

I paid for rotten willow disposal, once.

Thanks for the post, Nick. It is due time for all to consider the wiser use of urban logs. Most of which can yield far superior lumber for general construction and fine furniture making. No logs of this kind should ever go to waste. Shame when it does.

Nick....your thread may have helped me get wood to someone who wants it. I Facebooked your info to My son-in-law-to-be, Daniel, the wood crafter with mad skills (like Jay) that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Here is his reply...Daniel is currently in Ft. Bragg, CA...he just finished his second year at the College of the Redwoods in August. He has a friend near me in GA that has a wood mill:

Daniel Earl Zenefski Heck Yeah! I'm all about urban harvesting and having done some tree service work, have seen it go to waste. It's been a long time-side business-dream of mine. All those big old oaks that come down in Georgia during tornado season. You can't buy that stuff anywhere! Not inexpensively anyway.

Daniel Earl Zenefski Forrest Kimpel. You still got that mill?

Forrest Kimpel · Yes i do and i am currently doing similar work. We have been working with a couple tree removal companies and our inventory is growing.

Forrest Kimpel · 2 mutual friends
Gary Layton hit me up if you drop some trees and need them removed. 678-???-????

Gary Layton - Forrest...great offer. I will do that...just put your number in my phone. Alex and I are taking down a maple now. What lengths and diameters wood do you prefer? This is over a house so we are rigging a lot of it...will be somewhat restricted on size trunkwood we can lower.

Gary, 9' lengths are perferable. Short ones are fine as well( i turn those into slabs) i am a little limited though, as i dont have a tractor i can take with me (yet). I load the trailer with a come along or wench. where is the tree located?

Gary Layton -- Lithia Springs. Alex has a tractor with forks...he can lift some pretty hefty logs. Ideally we will finish the takedown tomorrow. I'll work to make 9' pieces and set them aside. Maybe we can coordinate next week and work out helping you load the wood. I will keep you posted.

I think it's a great idea .Here's how it goes in the big corn field though .

This is farming country not timber country .The local small mills will only pay pennys for saw logs and certainly won't take yard trees .Say a big red oak with 1500 BDF will only bring maybe third , half of what it would being cut up into firewood .Last I heard the mill prices for number one and better was $2.75-3 bucks a board foot .Kiln dried, planned straight one side .

I'd be curious how many good trees they get in that can be turned into usable material for things other than small items and turnings.

Back