Hazard tree contract fallers

So now you'll have the same sort of special relationship to your wedge driver as I have to mine, Burnham.

Burnham should open a bar and have the hammer hanging over the cash register with a little metal plaque explaining the origin. People would want to touch it for good luck....or he could just give them a little konk on the head for good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, Jerry, the package was sitting on my desk when I got to the Zigzag office this morning! It felt like Christmas!

Jerry really was going short on the handle on this baby...right at 20 inches from head to tail. I'd never in a million years change it, even if it is shorter than I'd choose :).

I can just decipher the makers stamp, "Stroax", "Sweden", and "5 Handmade JP". Note the artfully applied sawchain scoring...extra grip, ya know!

Maybe it's not quite like being in possession of the Beranek 090, but my oh my, I'm tickled pink. Thanks ever so much, Jer.

Here's a couple of pics. IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

Last edited:
"haha, if we keep at it burn, well get jerry up here in oregon to"

I wont be far from you this week end. Terri and I will be at Jed Smith to do some hiking through the groves. Will be fun.

Edit. First Time I saw a pic of my own axe on the net. Well, Burns axe now, I mean. Hey, Burn, she has a nice ring when you're driving wedges.

when u hit a tool, that doing the job it's made to do, by a person that understands that job, it just different. some folks bust sweet gum with a double-bit axe with great success. i cant do it, but i dont deny that it happens by those that truly understand the job aand its dynamics

"haha, if we keep at it burn, well get jerry up here in oregon to"

I wont be far from you this week end. Terri and I will be at Jed Smith to do some hiking through the groves. Will be fun.

Edit. First Time I saw a pic of my own axe on the net. Well, Burns axe now, I mean. Hey, Burn, she has a nice ring when you're driving wedges.

Aw hell, Jerry...it'll always be your axe. I'm just the lucky guy using it now.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Burnham has been correct in every thread about a proper faller's ax. 5 pound singlebit with short straight handle. Anything else is really just a stopgap. However, while a 5 pound Collins is standard, and I'm certain that Jerry's Strohs is very fine if you simply must have the ultimate in class and elegant performance you may be forgiven for buying an underweight Granfors.

Gransfors makes a 3,2 kilos "maul" that is the closest thing to the old DSI hammer I use, that you can get today.
It is nice that there still is a place, where they forge axes and stuff the way they did, when grandpa was a kid.
www.gransfors.com

There's a fixation I have with forging. It just feels so cool to see that red hot steel get pounded into shape, and to know that shape has strength in its grain like growth rings in a tree.

Hand forging is where it's at, but to see a crankshaft being forged in a rotating hammer has to be the coolest thing I ever seen. Talk about raw red hot steel and precision. Wow.

Started another contractor working

I started a third hazard tree felling contract Monday...this one is on the west side of the Mt. Hood NF, where the brush and trees are dense and big. Some of the pics are kinda dark, not much light under that high canopy, sorry about that.

This outfit is using one cutter, a fairly young man, early thirties, so he's only been professionally cutting for 10 years or so...a good competant sawyer, but doesn't have as many tricks up his sleeve as the old guys. He's figured out alot of 'em though.

Notice his aluminum sheet axe scabbard that he wears in the small of his back...sweet setup. He told me he got it from a saw shop in northern Idaho. If anyone knows of a place to get one like it, please let me hear! I'd commission a purchase if possible.

Here's some pictures of him setting one up and laying her down.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    539.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    730.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    877.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    IMG_0477.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    653.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    845 KB · Views: 31
Sometimes there is just no real safe way to handle a hazard tree by saw work alone. Here's a nasty one, broken out partway up and leaning real heavy into a second tree...easy to get hurt or worse trying to trip this one from underneath. Fortunately we had good access, so Dan crippled it and then Leonard bumped it over with the excavator. Even so, there was some risk involved for both Dan in the crippleing and to Leonard and his machine...He told me not to worry, "I can catch it with the bucket it it comes back at me". :O Yeah, right. He's an awfully good operator...maybe he could...but the top didn't tip back. ;)

You can see how far Dan is staying back from the tree...useing every bit of that long bar to give him a smidge more running room.

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    625.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    915.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    849.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    733.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    862 KB · Views: 33
I mentioned that Dan had learned some of the tricks of the trade...here's one you don't see often any more.

Danny set a make-do springboard to get above the root flare and extreme goosepen in this big red cedar. I just got there in time to get one pic of the action :cry:.

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 33
  • cropIMG_0535.JPG
    cropIMG_0535.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    884.4 KB · Views: 31
B, I'm surprised you didn't pull out your throw line and put a rope in that top to pull it down. Or is this strictly up to them to handle it themselves?

I betcha if you get a couple closeup pictures of that axe scabbard, you could probably find someone to copy it fairly cheap. ;)

I'd like to know more about that axe sheath. Was it welded, riveted? I've done some TIG aluminum work, a lot of fun, if everything goes right.

B, I'm surprised you didn't pull out your throw line and put a rope in that top to pull it down. Or is this strictly up to them to handle it themselves?

I betcha if you get a couple closeup pictures of that axe scabbard, you could probably find someone to copy it fairly cheap. ;)

It's up to them, Brian...though I'm free to make suggestions ;). If the excavator hadn't been there with good access, we could have done that. The contract is for hazard tree felling...if they decide it's too dangerous to do, they can ask me to delete the tree from the contract. If I agree, then that's what we do. Then I get to handle it myself later :D.

I'd like to know more about that axe sheath. Was it welded, riveted? I've done some TIG aluminum work, a lot of fun, if everything goes right.

It's riveted. I'll get some good close-ups of it...maybe I could get one made.

If it's riveted then you could make one yourself with a hacksaw and bench vise. All you'd need is a piece of aluminum (such as a traffic sign) for your raw material. :/:

Back