grapple truck help

The quarter million grapple truck feeds the 100k chipper.... Y'all have to keep up!!!

I still feel like a grapple truck is more suited for a midsize and above company. There has to be enough production to warrant driving that sucker out of the yard everyday.

I am convinced that an owner operator style business could do well with only a LARGE 50 yard rear mount like the Volvo models I often post pictures of. A solid used one at $125,000 replaces a brand new combo of a 2 ton F750 with an 11 yard chip box and 18" bandit.

Once Meg finishes law school the plan is to make a bid of it on my own, IF I have my way thats how I plan on trying to make it. I believe it will set me up for very extremely competitive bidding on removals, especially on anything in the front yard. Compared to the other midsized operations here in town you could crush their productivity with one of those bad boys. Plus as I always say its the putting it on the ground thats most of the fun and challenge but getting it in the truck is the work!

Heres my thing with feeding a chipper with a grapple, mounted to the chipper, truck or otherwise. You still gotta get it to the chipper, if I can drag I can chip it. If I am using a wheel loader to move it cant I feed the chipper with that?

I never understood feeding chippers with a grapple except in large landclearing operations and similar situations. Maybe I am missing a perfectly logical application though.

I am convinced that an owner operator style business could do well with only a LARGE 50 yard rear mount like the Volvo models I often post pictures of. A solid used one at $125,000 replaces a brand new combo of a 2 ton F750 with an 11 yard chip box and 18" bandit.

Once Meg finishes law school the plan is to make a bid of it on my own, IF I have my way thats how I plan on trying to make it. I believe it will set me up for very extremely competitive bidding on removals, especially on anything in the front yard. Compared to the other midsized operations here in town you could crush their productivity with one of those bad boys. Plus as I always say its the putting it on the ground thats most of the fun and challenge but getting it in the truck is the work!

I agree with you, as long as dumping brush is free.

I might change my tune when the biomass boiler comes online 1/4 mile from the shop.
But right now chipper and chip truck works very well.

Nick, is the free dumping for biomass energy production or what?

I wish we could dump brush for free.

In 5 years, I haven't paid to dump chips, and have sold a couple of loads. One free chip dump spot has stopped accepting again, hopefully only for the short term. They mainly make bark into bark mulch with tub grinders, and also sell some soils.

Feeding the chipper with a grapple, be it truck or chipper mounted, has many advantages. It frees up the loader if you run one, so the loader just drops its load at the chipper and goes back for more. If you do a lot of crane removals it helps a lot, because many times you won't have a loader there, because you don't need it. So having a chipper mounted grapple makes it extremely easy to feed the chipper as the crane sets down picks. Or the truck mounted grapple sitting next too the chipper does the same thing.

Give it a few years, when oil prices skyrocket, and Americans will start realizing that woodchips = energy.

We get paid for chips here. Right now, according to water content, it is about $1/cubic meter of chips.

Turning chips into mulch is sooooo last century:P

Back