Getting to the wood riff key

Page

TreeHouser
I have a '85 morbark chipper, and I'm trying to get the end cap off of the top feed roller so I can replace the wood riff key. to get the end cap off there are two bolts that take a allen wrench, when I went to take the bolts out they were realy tight, one of them looks like it snapped off inside. niether of them will go back in. it appears too large of a bolt was put in by previous owner. I'm not quite sure what to do from here. any suggestions would be greatly appretiated.

You're going to have to extract the remainder of the broken bolt and then get new proper size bolts and re tap the threads if you can. I'd try that to start.

Page I had to drill out the old allen screws and re tap. Is it a 200 or 290? If you have got the motor off you can also put a puller on and draw the collar off then fix threads ect. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah the problem is that I can't get the motor off even after I got the allen bolts out, I dont know if there's a bur on the metal or what. can I pound it out with a mallet without messing up the motor?

When I first worked on feed wheel rollers it was with a vermeer 935 I remember us having to bump the motors forward and reverse with wood between the feed wheels for resistance to find the sweet spot. It may just be twisted to some degree. I personally would not want to put the hammer to it until it was last choice.
Another idea would be dry ice (available at your local supermarket) in a rag of sorts put around the collar. It will shrink the metal, and hopefully enough.
Good luck mon:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
cool, I will try said advice. thanks for the ideas

Back