Felling with D. Douglas Dent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump!
Well guess what, Tommy...today I found my stash of Doug Dent's Professional Timber Falling, A Procedural Approach.

It was hiding in my old FS briefcase with a bunch of sawyer and climbing instructor stuff I'd tossed in the back of a closet in 2014 :).

I promised you one, back in Oct. of 2017, if I could locate it. Couldn't find it then, but now your patience can be rewarded, if you still are interested. Let me know, and we'll work something out.

Okie dokie, Tommy. Finally braved the trip in to the post office and got that book headed your way. They couldn't say how long it would take after it leaves the US. But if it doesn't show up in 10 days or 2 weeks, let me know and I'll get the tracking going.

Any sign of that package yet, Tommy? Been a couple of weeks.

I checked my receipt more closely, and find that with international mail, the US Postal Service not only doesn't track outside US borders, it doesn't inside either. That sucks, I'm sorry to report.

Hopefully it will arrive.

Hi Burnham. It hasn't arrived yet but as soon as it does, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks once again and let me know if you need me to send anything to cover the postage.

Sorry for missing the first post!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Pete...good to know.

Tommy, how about a little contribution to the TreeHouse instead? Otherwise, no worries.

I name dropped D. Douglas Dent in the hinge pic thread and when there was no response to his name I had begun to form a slightly negative opinion about some of the concerns of this forum. I chose to follow you(Burnham) and Mr Beranek here and I'm repeatedly pleased. Thanks again for keeping the torch lit.

Last edited:
Glad you found some of those threads, Mr. T Collins. Warm welcome to the Tree House, sir.

If you find Mr. Daniel Murphy a bit trying, I suggest ignoring him.

After several varying paths of interaction, and not, I have found ignoring is the most pleasant.

On the other hand, if you find value in interacting with him...have at it, and good luck :).

D. Douglas Dent has a lot of respect here. I only know about him thru Burnham but I sure do wish I could have known him. I did get his book...use it along with Beranek and Jepson for sure. Enjoying having you at the House. Mr. T. Collins.

From this thread, if I'm not mistaken...;).

I AM a huge fan of Dent as well.
For clarification, there has been a bit of a controversy on his teachings of the Swing Dutchman here and elsewhere.
I have used the technique with excellent results many times. Sometimes so much holding power against a side lean that it really surprised me.
And I have had a few experiences that it failed. Some of those failures surprised me as well.

According to Burnham who has personal experience with Dent and his classes, Dent stopped teaching the swing Dutchman because it was too unreliable. I take his word as truth on this matter.
Obviously Dent included it in his book because it works (at least sometimes). Rather than completely dismiss the technique as those that like to follow orders, do as they are told, and fail to think for themselves seem to do, I want to know why..

WHY??? why does it work and why does it fail. It's simply a lack of complete understanding that makes it too "unreliable to teach". If we had a more complete knowledge of the subject we would know when to use it and when not to.

Honestly, I think between Jer's Fundamentals book and the Working Climber DVD series, you can learn 99.9% of what you need to know in the tree care industry...those in the know, know what I am talking about.
Maybe its only 99% of what you know. No disrespect to Jerry, because his contribution to the industry is HUGE, but there have been a lot of changes in the industry since those publications.

Stig likes to pat himself on the back for being some greatest Danish faller. He talks a good game, but promptly gave Gary's camera back when he started posting videos showing mediocre skills.

I have repeatedly had to explain things to him and others here. They don't like being shown up. It's a good old boys club here. While they talk crap, I have published many industry firsts. When they show how foolish they can be, the tread gets deleted!

In honor of the late D. DOUGLAS DENT may I request that on a thread bearing his name and given his nature that we leave him to be the only swinging dick in this thread. It's just the way he'd have kept it I've read.

Now for settling differences may I suggest that we start a new thread called "driving wedges and burying hatchets" where we can voice differences of opinion and experience and find common ground and make pieces or peace?!

Well we try to do that that as a matter of course in every discussion, one trait of the 'House' that Butch insisted on was that at least we try to be nice, rather than getting into endless flame wars that characterize other forums.
We do have our opinions and for the most part we discuss and debate spiritedly, even if the result is the old agree to disagree, and if that's not possible the 'ignore' button is used. Rarely, someone gets banned if they cross the line

I have deleted each and every post, I've made in this thread.

Is that enough, or shall I simply leave the 'House.

Just say the word, and I'll be gone.

Love the way you come in here, knowing nothing about what has gone down in the past and make a post like that.

Hmm... I must have missed something. I'm not a fan of deleting posts, or making significant alterations. Changes history, and confuses context.

My most humble apologies. I really appreciate your posts. My effort was more at humor and I know that may have come off as offensive and snark. I don't want anyone to delete anything. I just thought it would be a funny post and ironic given what I have read of D. Douglas Dent's personality. I have much respect for many here and would feel terrible if I contributed to someone not sharing their knowledge. I admire your multilingual skills and I'm embarrassed if you felt that post was in any way singularly directed at you sir Stig.

T Collins sent me a PM.

We are cool with each other.

He just got under my guard somehow and pissed me off.

Same thing happened with Scott and me a while back, and a PM cleared the air there as well.

I TOTALLY missed the humor in that post.
Can I pull the " English is not my native language" card, please.

Nothing has gone tits up.
I got mortally pissed off.
A PM from T Collins took care of that.

But in the future, try to stay on the job please.

While we are on the topic of "on a bike"
I won't be visiting you this year.
Really wanted to, but my right hand will only stand up to 40 miles of motorcycle riding, not the 2 days of hammering through Germany it would take me to get to your place.
Hopefully things will look better next year.

Last edited:
Back