Dump trailer

maggies dad

TreeHouser
So I have been kicking around the ideal of mounting my grapple on a dump trailer. Right now it is on a my forwarding trailer, but that isn't road legal so I thought about the dump trailer. I have a 20 ft flat bed that I could put it on, but the dump seems far more useful. Are they worth the price? I have looked at all kinds, and considered building one, but I have enough projects to last me several years. I was going to use it for stuff that is just to big to chip, and for demo side jobs ect. What are your thoughts?

Dump trailers rock. I'll be selling my 7x3x16' tag dump soon. My 8x4x20' gooseneck dump is quite the material mover.

Unless I found a swinging deal on a loader to mount, I'd buy a mini or full size loader.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lumberjack, I have a mini already, but thought that for those jobs where I just have to much to take at one time I can bring it to the curb with the mini and then take all my stuff home and just return with the trailer. That way I dont have to leave the mini in site. I m always afraid someone is going to steal that thing. I was thinking a 16ft trailer would be about right, cause my grapple reaches 14ft. Do you think I should go bigger? The only problem with going much bigger is that DPS is stopping everything with wheels and a tongue on it and if there is any doubt about the weight it is going on the scales.

Dump trailers rock! I have a 14' and have moved some serious tonnage with it over the years. I think you may be restricted with mounting optons on a dump trailer than a flat bed but if you build one, well it's all good.

Maggie's Dad, what's your first name?

Have you considered some way of disabling the ignition on the mini so that it won't start, even if hotwired, if only some hidden switch or easy connect/ disconnect. Is there a 'boot' for the wheel that can be purchased?

Worrying about theft sucks.

Seems like it might be worth it with or without the dump trailer, if it gives peace of mind, as I imagine it can be done cheaply (I'm guessing, from my couch).

My first name is Jeff. I havent thought about that, but it is a great ideal. One of the deals here is stealing batteries as well, but that is a lot better then stealing the whole mini. I'll take a look at it today, and see if I can figure it out.

Dump trailers rock bro, just bought one a few months back and haven't looked back. We love this thing, combined with the mini and it's saved us soooo much work. We used to toss it off the other trailer by hand, and man, was it the sweetest thing the first time we dumped it to press that button and watch it all roll out the back, thinking of all the time, effort, and money we just saved. Get a 14' or 16' one, I got a 12' and wish I had went with the 14', that extra 2' woulda been helpful a time or two.

Ok, Im sold! Now the question is what type of doors on the back, what size axle, goose neck or dumper pull? Fire when ready!

The worst part is overloading your tow vehicle. What kind of tow vehicle will you be using and do you have a CDL license? If your trailer is over 10K and the combination of truck and trailer is over 26K then you need to have a Class A CDL. DOT cops love pulling over guys driving an F350 pulling a loaded dump trailer, they always hang out on the roads near the dumps around here.

Ill be pulling it with a Dodge 2500 diesel, I dont have a CDL, Just a Class b exempt for driving firetrucks. I have heard that a CDL will really jack up the insurance rate.? We have the same deal with DOT/DPS cops here, they will pull over anything with wheels and put it on scales. I will have to see what my truck weighs and plan accordingly I guess.

I'm getting my class A currently, had my first class today actually.

Why will a CDL jack up insurance? They never asked to see my license when getting insurance.

It'll be nice towing my grapple trailer legit, it's terrifying driving dirty. :|: I'll use it hella more now!

I hate rolling dirty. I avoid it, but it is what it is sometimes. When the work has to get done, the work has to get done.

Having a CDL won't increase your insurance, but commercial and heavy vehicles are usually more expensive to insure than passenger cars.

Trailer weight ratings are based on the axle capacity. IMO get a dump trailer with 7K lb axles but only 2' sides. That way you'll never be able to put enough wood on it to overload it. Mine is 4' high and I'm over 14K almost every time I fill it up.

I have no ideal why it would make insurance go up, I was talking to a friend that is a truck driver and that is what he said. Didnt make any sense to me:big-bat: If that is the case that it wont cost more to get then ill just get a CDL. I know for fact that I have pulled alot more then is legal several times in the past couple of weeks. which reminds me that I need to get trailer brakes on the dump trailer- dont have them on the flat bed. Almost bought me a new Lexus by default with 18000 on the trailer. Keep it coming guys, I want to buy this thing once and no say , I sure wish it had this or that Once I have it.
Thanks

Already got one, If this dont work out like I think it will, I may sell you a backup one.:big-tongue5:

I miss my dump trAiler. The past few days though I have really seen the grapple trailer shine. Guess I should take Down the post about selling it. For big cleanup jobs a dump trailer and a forwarder is almost cheating.

I would go with a bumper pull because I like having bed space for tools and gear if need be and mine is set up barn doors that can swing up as one unit for spreading gravel and sand but I have never used it that way.

Back