Drying eucalyptus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’ve seen people trying to sell oak for $600 in the mntns. Not sure if they are getting it. Lots of dead oaks up there and I think a lot of people know someone who has some.

Blockbuster! Thats what I use.
Or I pay $170 for a tonne that I load myself (ready split)

Impressive lacing of the fibers. No wonder that you have an hard time to split it.
it's amazing how easily it splits with the rings vs. across (dry anyway). That round split with rings easily on the outside, but towards the core was nearly impossible. Still too green. I had been noodling straight across the whole round- per a suggestion on arboristsite, I'm going to try radially. I think it will work better as all the splits will then be with the rings, and the tough core will be smaller splits.

I think I'm going to give all the green stuff to a friend to power split/dry/sell once I buck it. He is closer to the market and he and his brother have more time. I just wanna run saws! Maybe Split the $ 50/50 or something. The dry stuff I'll probably continue to hand split for exercise and selling locally. If I could get someone to sell to the desert offroading folks on weekends....Glamis population goes from 0 to 100,000 on a big weekend.

I haven't used this but hear some good things about it.

IMG_4276.jpeg IMG_4277.jpeg A guy in the mountains keeps breaking the head off this monster maul. We welded it again and my son and I tested it in some one summer dried Euc. I think it took 10 swings of the maul and then went to the sledge for 20 more. Another piece I managed to split off with 10 swings of the maul.

Back