Crane accident in my home town

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
i heard about this on Wednesday night. apparently it is the same crane co that laid one over on a house in santa rosa last year, AND the same co that had one of their employees die in a traffic accident involving a crane on i680 some years ago. i dont know if the guy made it, didnt sound too good.

http://local.nixle.com/alert/4913747/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my friend and co-worker had his leg crushed when the bark slipped on a load as it passed over him. closest call i ever had was just like the article says, load disintegrated and came down on me. luckily it was not directly overhead, but i felt it brush my hip as it fell past.

After doing lots of crane removals, it's too easy to make that mistake being complacent and under the load.

I wonder if the tree tipped sideways and went horizontal after being cut, or the log was being moved that way when the accident occurred? Keeping trees vertical until you can lay them down, involving balance and cable or rope connections, is an important objective with crane removals. Trees can take a lot of abuse and stay whole when banging through stuff, if kept vertical.

Yeah, We had a safety meeting about this the other day.

Terrible news. Should never be under the load, really...
...even when I'm tying a block...I don't like people right under less they gots to be.

Wow, reading more. It said the piece was horizontally rigged. Wouldn't someone tip tie?
If you know redwoods, that's crazy. You can pop a branch off with a spur on accident.
a soft slight drag of a handsaw can pop a branch off.

The tensile strength is unknown though bend it sidewise and it snaps with a bit of bounce.
Yikes.

...it's still on my record, apparently....

Oh. you mean SF making it illegal? Sheesh.
I guess too many nasty a$$ bros dragging their ball sacks on the bus stop benches...
Folsom Festival is crazy with the naked men...It's weird.

I dunno, Butch. Not a whole lot of naked women.
Bay to Breakers the race used to provide many naked college co-eds....now it went corporate equipped with laws and rules.

Back