Cold showers

I'm cured 🙂 My 4 year old daughter is having issues though. She is not on board with cold showers at all. I tried to convert her.. she just screamed. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Olah!

So we took a dip in 54* LI Sound today after work. It was my first time in since last winter. I was a bit apprehensive about it honestly but had to go to save face with Son and friends. The first 2 minutes were absolutely brutal but go figure, the last 4 minutes were cake and I could have easily gone longer. Gotta say I felt pretty awesome after, for quite a while.

During the tropical storm in August, we lost power for several days so I took cold showers then, was pretty awesome, got used to it fairly quickly, found myself looking forward to them.

But go figure, power comes back and within a day or two, I'm back to hot showers, the inner voice says, "Oh I worked hard today, I need to sooth the muscles, I'm too tired to take a cold shower, blah blah blah....' WAAAAAAAAAAAA

Your inner voice sounds smart :^D

I'm not really down with cold showers. Hot showers are one of the few luxuries I partake in. I'll 'do stuff' in cold water. I went for a new years day whitewater paddle once, and had a good time, but shower time should be relaxing and feel good imo.

I know I'm late to the party but back when I lived in Minnesota we would cut a hole in the ice, take a sauna, jump in the water. Not really sure if that's good for your heart but it was invigorating.

@kevin bingham

No it doesn't actually add salt, it removes magnesium and calcium, then later uses salt to flush itself. I think you would be in for a very nice surprise if you installed one, your water appliances will last significantly longer and your skin and hair will likely greatly benefit as well. Your municipal water is actually designed to be hard water, because it coats the inside of the old pipes that are used through the distribution system, preventing lead contamination and protecting the pipes. That was actually the problem in flint, they changed the water supply without thinking about that. However unless you have ancient lead plumbing in your house, it is detrimental to everything from toilets to faucets to dishwashers, hot water heaters, icemakers, washing machines, and you. If you have antiquated plumbing, maybe it's time for an upgrade, i would suggest either copper or pex.

Your link says it does add salt, unless there's a salt remover down the line.
Detroit water department websight. Laid out all the chlorine, fluoride etc. Detroit has some of the best water that I've had to drink. I it's used by several bottled water cos. Aquafina, dasani, la croix, Faygo. At least regionally.
I don't like the taste of dasani or aquafina. Deer Park is where it's at, though it seems like they have 2 flavors. Sometimes I think the taste is affected by what I've eaten, but it also seems like it has to do with the batch. They have a really good flavor, and a bad flavor which people who like bottled tap water might prefer.

Olah!

So we took a dip in 54* LI Sound today after work. It was my first time in since last winter. I was a bit apprehensive about it honestly but had to go to save face with Son and friends. The first 2 minutes were absolutely brutal but go figure, the last 4 minutes were cake and I could have easily gone longer. Gotta say I felt pretty awesome after, for quite a while.

During the tropical storm in August, we lost power for several days so I took cold showers then, was pretty awesome, got used to it fairly quickly, found myself looking forward to them.

But go figure, power comes back and within a day or two, I'm back to hot showers, the inner voice says, "Oh I worked hard today, I need to sooth the muscles, I'm too tired to take a cold shower, blah blah blah....' WAAAAAAAAAAAA
In the summer, when a cold shower feels good, the temp under the house and ground is such that I can't get the water cold enough.

Funny. I don't care for those soda brand bottled waters either. They taste like nothing with a peculiar sharpness. I think they should have spent more time crafting the flavor. Certain places in the mountains have really good water. I guess it's the rock it travels through.

So I rounded up a couple of noobs who were down for some spirit enhancement, guys my age. We went in today, it felt so good that we stayed in for 21 minutes, treading water. Twas awesome indeed. Shivers on the way home made driving somewhat challenging.

I have to agree...that's too intense for my body and mind :).

Sir, how would you know, not having tried it, afaik.

One funny thing Ive noticed about peeps and cold water- most everyone thinks, "oh, cold water is fine for others to jump into but it happens to affect me far worse than others so therefore its not for me." I myself felt this way too at least to some extent, but repetion has shown that Im really no better nor worse suited to it than anyone else.

Last edited:
I'd get in there with you cory, at least once. I'm not up for cold showers, but I'll do some swimming, or work/play in cold water. Know what's awesome? Locating the center of a walkable but deep creep in winter with full sun shining. Up to your waist in ice cold water, but warmth on your chest feels great.

Cold water immersion is a rather funny concept- in the doses I've mentioned, it is 100% harmless to participants yet it still holds such an outsized powerful negative perception by people that they tend to avoid it with the same fervor they would avoid being branded or being cut with a knife

Last edited:
The last round of chemo i had to do the warm water didn't really work in the room.... i almost started rooting for the cancer and for it to hurry the f up :lol:

Sir, how would you know, not having tried it, afaik.

One funny thing Ive noticed about peeps and cold water- most everyone thinks, "oh, cold water is fine for others to jump into but it happens to affect me far worse than others so therefore its not for me." I myself felt this way too at least to some extent, but repetion has shown that Im really no better nor worse suited to it than anyone else.

I don't think it affects me a bit worse than anyone else. I have been swimming in quite cold water...mountain lakes and the north coast Pacific Ocean. What I do know, and what my post was intending to say, is that I don't enjoy it enough to repeat it much :).

Well if you've swum there, certainly you emerged felling like a million bucks.

Hence, rinse and repeat.;)

Me too. But of course it's not a trip like cold water immersion.

Different strokes...

I don't believe mankind has evolved from the primordial ooze into our current state just to freeze our butts off on purpose. :/:

Fair point.

The book I linked earlier references that very question. It argues the temp controlled environments many folks live in has caused many health issues that can be addressed via beefing up one's circulatory and immune systes which are often weakened by modern lifestyles.

"Our ancestors crossed deserts, mountains, and oceans without even a whisper of what anyone today might consider modern technology. Those feats of endurance now seem impossible in an age where we take comfort for granted. But what if we could regain some of our lost evolutionary strength by simulating the environmental conditions of our forbears?"

I can't wait til we are like brave new world, no work, awesome drugs, sex with everyone, and gourmet food. Rinse repeat lol

This whole thread has made me feel sooooo ashamed that every day in fall, winter and early spring I head right for the hottub when I come home from the woods.
Now that I have come clean about it, I feel better, of course.

Last edited:
Back