Climbing shoes

Treeaddict

Treehouser
What are you wearing on your feet while aloft? I have lineman boots for spur work but looking for pruning/rec climbing low boot. Even if you have a suggestion for something that’s not specific to arborculture, I’m all ears.

I'll always wear combat boots. I need to try tank crew boots with spurs some time to see if it works acceptably well. That way I can have one boot that does everything. My current rope boots are great for rope climbing. They have a sneaker type sole with no distinct heel whatsoever. My spur boots are deck boots with a low distinct heel. Tank crew boots are kind of a blend of those with a ridged sloping arch that connects the heel with the forefoot. Might work with spurs, but I've never tried it.

All day, every day…

Those look like some of the nicest low cost boots i"ve seen. They have the needed height, and a decent looking fake Vibram sole. What goes bad first on them?

Damn, good thread, all are nice boots.

I bought these with intentions of wearing them for spurless climbing, but can’t get around that soft toe. Like not even the protection of leather, just a little fabric over the toes. Probably ok for rec climbing. They are insanely comfortable, light, and are holding up well, I really like them as a casual shoe to wear around.

They last me a year to a year and a half. Usually wear through on the inside of the big toe from rubbing the tree while standing in the hooks.
That sounds like pretty good wear for that price.

I need a pair of boots. I made this list of boot makers that may have The One.

Lowa, Oboz, La Sportiva, Asolo, Kenetrek, Hi Tec, Danner, Meindl, Crispi, Hoffman, Scarpa, Schnees, Arbpro, Arcteryx, Arbortec, Russel moccasin company (they have alot of rad footwear though at high prices), Zamberlan, Aku.

Those Aku boots Rich posted look fine.

Edit: add Limmer to the list

Last edited:
Having tree boots with a rubber rand to battle scuffs and digs and gouges that would otherwise hurt even high quality leather seems like a darn good idea, though I've never had the pleasure, always all leather for me, so far.

You could shoegoo skid pads to your leather boots. Use a piece of nylon. I've done it to patch holes in boots, and it holds up pretty well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good information guys! I’m liking the rubber rand idea. That seems like it would grip better and resist abrasion. Probably hold up better around the foot ascender too!

Andrew s boots as soon as I have a chainsaw in my hands. A bit warm in the summer so I switch to hiking boots when I run the chipper. Sometimes I feel like a job is organized around footwear.

You could shoegoo skid pads to your leather boots. Use a piece of nylon. I've done it to patch holes in boots, and it holds up pretty well.
I've done that via straight shoo goo, never used nylon with it, good idea. The straight sho goo worked decently though it looks kinda rank. :whine:

Brian, what’s a vibram sole? Looks like they are a sole manufacturer that sell their product for brands to incorporate into their boot ?

Re: Wolverine boots. I used to wear them for years in construction and they held up well.

Patrick, the laugh was for “job organized around footwear”. I agree. Forgetting your spurring boots is almost as bad as forgetting your spurs it seems.

I'd dearly love to see arboreal pruning boots constructed on the same principle of wire core lanyards.

In other words a synthetic nylon/polyester shell on top of thin steel sheets, doubled or tripled up at highly vulnerable points of the boot.

Couldn't weigh anymore than my 20 inch tall Wesco Highliners.

When yu do it for a living?

It's well worth ponying up.......

Jomo

Brian, what’s a vibram sole? Looks like they are a sole manufacturer that sell their product for brands to incorporate into their boot ?

Re: Wolverine boots. I used to wear them for years in construction and they held up well.
See the yellow emblem in the sole of the boots Rich posted? Post #8. That's a Vibram sole.

1649461104861.png
katana lace with vibram grip rubber

or TC pro same rubber

no gaffs necessary

NoBivy, is that a rock climbing shoe? Deals well with a foot ascender (not too much pressure squeezing your foot)? I bet it affords one heck of a grip and allows maximum dexterity!!

I tried wrestling shoes once, and felt good when pruning with a handsaw alone.

Arborists are going to need to mimic insects and wear exoskeleton's to deal with all the species we do.

Hopefully with A/C n heating like all the spoiled crane n harvestor operators......

image.jpeg

I wear the same climbing Boots on spurs and pruning. Needed the steel shanks. Using hikers with out are all nice and grippy, but my arches could not take standing on limbs long periods pruning. Damn near got to where I could hardly walk.

NoBivy, is that a rock climbing shoe? Deals well with a foot ascender (not too much pressure squeezing your foot)? I bet it affords one heck of a grip and allows maximum dexterity!!
yes...not recommended in tree

I only posted because of the Vibram soles thing. I only pull on granite these days

I wouldnt recommend a Gortex boot if you have sweaty feet.

there are versions of big wall boots i would wear in the trees though. I used to wear Scarpa mescalitos. Im sure there are others these days.

Back