Quote/estimate/consultation process

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I’m currently ironing out the quote process. I’m sure many of you have refined it throughout your careers.

I show up on time and text 1/2 hr ahead to let them know when I’ll be there. I wear my helmet (communicates safety) and bring a chopping axe (test hollowness, amount of decay, depth of holes, and measures to see if tree can be dropped). I just received a high powered green laser which will point to limbs/leaders on trim jobs. I used to quote on site but now I send them a quote after meditating on the job for a day. Plenty of pictures are taken. The axe is a good scale reference. No one has perceived the axe as threatening so far. I suppose a rubber mallet would be useful too. I try to look at their whole situation to see if there’s anything that they need to be aware of. I offer basic pruning procedures if that are hands on. I try to get a feel for their expectations and ask them what their tolerances are (minor divots).

A lot of the consult techniques are based on my plumbing sales/service experience and adapted to arborculture.

Is there anything you generally do that I haven’t mentioned?

Ask them if they are seeking multiple quotes.
Ive had mine shown/told to other bidders after they got it, and then been undercut.
Mention your insurance status. Low bidders sometimes don't have any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I look , think , tell them the truth including price and details .... and really don't give a shit if I get the job or not
I need to learn more of that attitude with the tree work. I definitely have that demeanor with the plumbing work. Sometimes even a “I dare you to not let ME do your work!”

I like that you do not give the price on site. Thinking about it will help you to price it correctly. I also love that you text them that you are on the way, communication is everything. I hate communicating lol.

Politely getting people to shut up during an analysis of a complicated situation is a skill to develop.

Humans tend to forget that silence might mean the brain is in overdrive.

I don't really care to hear about the guy who was working there 10 years ago, especially when trying to work out the situation that is present today.

I don't give a price on site unless it's a once in and out dead simple little job, or a ballpark figure to help them see the light of day with a big job.
In the country some people assume because they have a chainsaw, but can't get up high 'any more' it's going to be about $100 or so...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't give a price on site unless it's a once in and out dead simple little job, or a ballpark figure to help them see the light of day with a big job.
In the country some people assume because they have a chainsaw, but can't get up high 'any more' it's going to be about $100 or so...
I’ve done the same. Yeah, it’s a case by case thing. There have been some where I show up knowing I’m making a large tree fit without rigging. Those have been priced and completed on same trip.

It’s good to sometimes give ballparks on site just to get expectations in line. Can be risky though. I’m not so comfortable doing that with trees yet. Plumbing is not so much an issue. Fortunately, many people in our area believe tree work is expensive.

I wouldn't do the axe thing. I leave all tools in the truck unless I'm not sure something is climbable. A free quote means they basically know what they want, if they need much info or input to make real decisions or whats wrong with my tree etc, that's a consult. My office usually feels that out on the phone. You didn't get the information and experience for free, good clients happily pay for consults.