Cable attachment pullers

Jay,
I have a big roll of bright yellow velcro; maybe that would stay in place well, too.
At least another approach to test for your TCI article ;)

How about you set a prusik a couple of feet downline from the device ( downline being in the direction of the pull) and set the beforementioned bungeecord from that to the pulling eye of the device. That way it would constantly be under tension.

Seem to me that would work better than wrapping tape, cord etc around the device.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting idea too, Stig, and probably the most professional looking solution when it is set-up. Those two other guys might just have to make room in the VIP lounge now.

I have never tied a prussic onto a cable and checked for slippage, so results pending.

Thanks. :)

Is anyone using a cable attachment like this or of any other nature?

Thanks for the thoughts.
Yes as a matter of fact .That exact clamp gizmo is used to sag in primary lines ,stretch messenger cable and tighten guy wires on pole line constuction along with about a zillion other uses .They work great .

You can add a strong spring in the device, (flat, cylindrical, spiral or what's more convenient) in order to keep the jaws closed.
Fully integrated and very reliable, no need of other gear : just put the gizmo on the cable and leave.
The continuous cable puller "Tirefort" has inside a setup like that: two pairs of jaws (grab the cable alternately), each loaded by springs. There is no way the cable can slip, with or without tension on it.

It already has a spring for that purpose, but it is too weak. Possibly a stronger one can be substituted.

Those grips come with either a set of smooth jaws or serrated so they grip better .We used to put a big one on the ground anchor rod and a smaller on the guy wire .Using a 5 ton come along you could stretch a guy wire so tight you could play a tune on it like a banjo . You could bend the top of a 45 foot class one pole stuck 7 feet in the ground with no problem . You could probabley break a cross arm too but I never did .That would have been bad .

It seems pretty obvious that when they designed that tool, they didn't have pulling trees in mind, or else would have put some removable collar or something around the jaws to prevent falling off.

if Rajan was mentioning a particular brand, it could be reasoned that he has some personal interest beyond just ordinary in the sale of duct tape. :/:
:lol:

I have no holdings in any duct tape maker. :/: I just think it is a quick and dirty solution to you problem. I like the other suggestions but I think they are a little more complicated than it needs to be IMO. I am all for the KISS principal, and minimal cost.

I'll tell you what, Rajan...keeping track of a roll of duct tape in a truck box or cab is a bother, and then you have to keep and dispose of the used tape. I'd much rather have the cable grip set up with the prusik loop and bungee, or strong spring, all in one piece.

That's far more in the vein of KISS, to me.

Interesting gear but a "little" expensive.
My idea would be to put an easy on-off mechanical advantage for tensioning a lowering line (for the ones who haven't a GRCS).
Look at the Klein's catalog. "Chicago grip". There are plenty of them, in many different configurations. Some of them bring the solution.
Locking systems, round jaws (better suited for rope I think)...
Some examples I noticed:
http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...s GRIPS-CHI HAVEN-CHIHOTLINE/Product/1656-40H
http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...allel-Jaw Grips GRIPS-PARALLEL/Product/KT4601
http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...llel-Jaw Grips GRIPS-PARALLEL/Product/1671-10
jaws for rope ? :
http://www.service.kleintools.com/T...uctors GRIPS-CHI HAVEN-CHIPVC/Product/1659-40

I'll tell you what, Rajan...keeping track of a roll of duct tape in a truck box or cab is a bother, and then you have to keep and dispose of the used tape. I'd much rather have the cable grip set up with the prusik loop and bungee, or strong spring, all in one piece.

That's far more in the vein of KISS, to me.
I would think a stronger spring would be best.
The easiest way to keep track of the duct tape is to duct tape to something.:lol::lol:

Interesting, they have put out some new models since I purchased mine, and presumably the "latch" addresses the dislocation problem. "Expensive" is why I want to make my current one suffice.
For rope, I believe the smooth jaws as opposed to serpentine is what you want. A textured jaw will scar up rope and cable.

Back