Cable attachment pullers

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Not wanting to much start a discussion about pulling trees with cable vs rope, I think it has been pretty well talked about.....

I have used these Klein cable pullers for a number of years, first seeing them mentioned in Jerry's book. Can be used with rope as well. I use them with my two ton puller or when pulling with a vehicle. They have a number of types, but the one I use has a non-serrated jaw that doesn't damage the cable at all, and the tool size is matched to the cable diameter, with an assortment available. They work great when tension is exerted, hold firm, but sometimes if slack is introduced into the cable, they will suddenly drop off the cable. :O They seem to swing upside down or sideways, and their weight can release them. Obviously there could be disastrous results.

Is anyone using a cable attachment like this or of any other nature? In lieu of not having the funds currently to purchase an endless line cable puller that would eliminate any concerns, and not such consistent need for it, heavy suckers too, is there something on the market that works with more security to not compromise the set-up when attaching mid point to a cable?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Attachments

• FW014872.jpg
    FW014872.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 43
Yeah, chain wont help there. Can you back it up with a prussik? Just to hold it in place?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure am open to suggestions. I thought about somehow better securing it with a rope, but haven't tried yet.

I have put prusik's on cable pullers for the very reason you mentioned. It only took a minute to attach and the puller never let go after that.

Are you guys mentioning a prussik to prevent slipping? It has never slipped on me, just falls off the cable. I was thinking a rope to bind the jaw, if possible. Seems a bit rinkydink however.

In my past I have had the seemingly strange task of rigging full sized oldgrowth conifers so that they could be pulled over, rootplate and all, with heavy equipment, into streams to improve habitat for fish. The best way I came up with to attach mid-point to cable was to clamp a short length of same sized cable (I liked about four feet) with an eye swaged into the end of cable, to the host line with 6-8 cable clamps. I had that arrangement slip on rare occasions, but usually it was solid...it only moved if the pull was at scary levels of tension anyway, so it sort of provided a built in safety.

If the attachment unexpectedly releasing via slack wouldn't be a big concern, they are the cat's meow, really hold firm when the tension is up and don't slip, has been my experience. Nice feature that they don't kink or mar the cable at all. Every once-in-awhile, given a certain slack, they WILL drop off.

Yes, once the tension is up again they are secure if the cable is through the jaw properly. More pull equals more solid bite, the nice feature.

Yep duct tape. I have done that with the heavens jaws, similar to what you have, pulling a fence and it worked well. The tape just holds the position and has no need for a strength rating. I have even used it to hold a grab hook in place while tearing out some shrubs.

I think the prussic idea is to keep tension on the pulling eye of the clamp such that even if slack occurs in the system the prussic maintains the 'pull' on the cable clamp... so it can not 'fall off' or get unloaded...

Could very well be the simple solution, tape or bungee, a few wraps should hold it in place until bringing up the tension again. The tape seems pretty direct. Thanks. I eventually might have thought of it. :|:

The prussik holding tension is a thought, but absolutely no room for release in some situations.

Of course, Rajan, I will send you the PhD thesis. Your name might even be behind an asterisk somewhere .:beerchug:

Of course I was thinking about you too, B, but with too many credits....y'know academia, I might not get the doctorate. I just thought you would understand. :)

Back