Bill's Husky 372

Maybe I can pop in and help/ watch? I'm kinda curious about the mechanical side of saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heck, Andy- you know a lot more about the internal workings than I do.

Bill, I usually piddle with that kind of stuff during my quiet time. How about if I try to get some video of the crank seal removal/replacement? You guys can all laugh at my first attempt! :lol:

If its during your quiet time, I definitely don't want to bug you. I'm sure I can find something to do while I wait in anticipation.

Sure thing, Scott. If I remember correctly, that's the 371 setup with the adjuster in the front. Just buy an aftermarket 372 side cover with the side access adjuster in it. Like this one for $30.

The parts from Chainsawr came in today. The good news is that I was able to get the crank seal out relatively easily using Al's method. The bad news is that the aftermarket Chinese crap replacement seal just falls in (and falls out) without any resistance. That's two strikes on Chainsawr's aftermarket 'Forester' line of parts and I will not buy from them again.

Going to try to get a call in to Bailey's before they close. Another week's delay. :(

10 frikkin minutes on hold at Baileys after not finding the parts online, only to have some secretary completely unable to help me. She couldn't even tell me if Bailey's was an authorized Husqvarna dealer or not. That place has turned into such a disappointment in the last few years. Horrible service and always out of stock on the stuff I want.

OK, I'm sorry but we're at a standstill until I can locate some crank seals that fit.

Clutch side # HVP 503-26-03-01 $15.79 ,Flywheel side HVP 505-27-57-19 $ 7.99 .These are Baileys numbers and prices .The parts are listed under crankshaft parts .I'm not certain if they are OEM or after market .

I am certain though that Amicks is a bonefide Husqvarna dealer if Baileys isn't FWIW .

Bailey's is out of stock, which means they won't ever carry it again if any of my previous backorders are any indication. I still have a 32" GB bar on backorder with them from 3 years ago. :roll:

I'll look up Amick's and bookmark it. I'll need something to replace my Bailey's bookmark.

No luck at Amick's website. They have a category for Husky 372 parts but there's nothing there. Nothing came up on a search either.

I got a complete gasket set setting in the barn. I will pull both seals out put in a envelope and mail them if you will replace them in the future. They are for one I have here I need to spit and put new bearings in sometime later.

Brian I just checked and if you only got one seal when you ordered you may have got wrong seal. Fly side seal will fall through clutch side seal area.

I got both seals. I know they are different from one side to the other. The old seal did NOT spin in the case but the new seal was sloppy enough to fall out if I touched it with a screwdriver.

Good to go, will go out Monday.
impatient2.gif

Dang Brian, sorry this saw is being such a pain, I was thinking a simple adjustment. Kevin you kick ass man.

It's cool, Bill. A learning experience for many of us. I've posted a few saw repairs on the forum like this and it's always worked out well. I'm not exactly an expert but with some perseverance and all the helpful input from the forum I'll eventually get it right.

If a person just types the parts number into Google search it will find them usually .I loked up the numbers on the seals which are the same numbers Baileys use and found several online sources .

Now usually with OEM parts numbers I can cross reference them to Chicago Rawhide,National or some other manufactuerer but unfortunately wasn't able to on these seals .

Al, if we had the dimensions ID/OD/Thickness (metric, I would presume), we could no doubt get something in a National double-lip Viton or Buna-N.

Yes E. ,I have no doubt .I'm going to go back into the master interchange book and look some more in case I missed something .My bet is the things are double lip buna-n .

Rambling on .I can find most Stihl flywheel side seals in CR or National not the clutch side .Huskey is iffy though .

Still waiting on the envelope from Kevin. I have the clutch side seal out, I will probably test run it before pulling the flywheel and changing the far side crank seal. If the clutch side began leaking due to the heat from the broken oiler then there isn't any reason to mess with the other side.

Cool just curious. I hope that's all it is. You have way more patience than me. Just let me know what i owe you for your time, I know its like 60 in parts so far.

Back