Before & After Tree Care

little birch from this afternoon. nothing fancy, had been pretty savaged in the past. i dont know why anyone would be scared of a birch tree getting too big:scratch:.

Santa Cruz-20130130-00430.jpg Santa Cruz-20130130-00431.jpg

i see quite a bit of beetle in the european birch and paper barks here. but mostly home owners seem to want them topped at around 20 feet. for some reason tall birches terrify santa cruzians:what:.

Main reason we get for taking them out here is beech pollen allergy.

Birch and Pinus nigra are my bread and butter trees when I do arborist work.

these are by far the largest birch i have seen in this area. Betula pendula i think.
Santa Cruz-20120530-00035.jpg Santa Cruz-20120530-00037.jpg

here is an interesting item relating to birch pollen allergy

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/miscellaneous/articles/allergies_across_europe.html

"The north/south divide

However the most interesting finding so far is the strange north-south divide which runs across southern France, through Italy just north of Florence and on eastwards to the Black Sea.North of this line people react to the flesh of apples, south of the line, to the skin. The answer to this conundrum may lie, yet again, with the birch tree as this line also marks the latitude south of which the birch does not grow.

The birch connection – again...

Apples contain two major allergenic proteins, Mal d 1, which is found in the flesh, and Mal d 3, which is found in the skin. Mal d 1 closely resembles the allergenic protein Bet v 1, found in birch pollen.So, anyone who is already allergic to Bet v 1, is ‘primed’ to react to Mal d 1 – explaining why people living in birch growing areas and sensitised to birch pollen may also react to apple flesh.

South of the birch growing area, the apple protein Mal d 3 is closely related to Pru p 3, the main allergenic protein in peaches. And, as the EuroPrevall study has already noted, the prevalence of peach allergy is highest in the Mediterranean area.

Interestingly, Mal d 1 breaks down when heated, where as Mal d 3 does not – which could explain why apple-allergic northern Europeans are fine with cooked apple or pasteurised apple juice, but southern Europeans cannot tolerate apple in any form.

The question of why those who are birch sensitised should react to apple flesh, but those who are apple sensitive do not necessarily react to birch pollen has also baffled researchers. They believe that this may be because the Bet v 1 from birch pollen enters the body via the lungs rather than the digestion. It can therefore reach the bloodstream intact. Had it been eaten, it would have been broken down by stomach acids etc and would have lost the ability to sensitise the immune system. But once the immune system is sensitised by Bet v1 it is likely to react to any similar looking proteins such as Mal d 1."

They look it, alright.
Birch is, as already stated, one of my Bread and butter trees, when I do arborist work.
( As opposed to the full scale tree killing, we do all winter)
Those skinny tops can really take you for a ride.
That is where it is nice to have a groundie, who also climbs. That equals sensitive rope handling.

Pruning for wildlife

In England they manage trees to encourage bugs that live in decaying wood to take up residence. so heres a before and after on a beech with a hollow stem. before dh.jpg after dh.jpg

I wasn't there to see the trees, but from the pics, it looks like you didn't need to take quite as much.

Here's a B&A on a small, overgrown, whitefly infested banana grove I cleaned up yesterday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360956713.104070.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360956740.034936.jpg

love
nick

Landscapers from south of the border, those things would replicate in the backs of their trucks if manure touched them.

Back